Congratulatory messages

Congratulatory messages are cards sent by The Queen to mark special birthdays or wedding anniversaries. They come in a distinctive envelope, are sent by special delivery through the Royal Mail and arrive, when possible, on the day of the anniversary.


Receiving a congratulatory message

You can receive a congratulatory message on the following occasions:

  • birthdays - 100th and 105th birthdays and then every year after
  • wedding anniversaries - Diamond (60th), 65th and Platinum (70th) wedding anniversaries and every year after

You can apply online through The British Monarchy website, or if you are a Northern Ireland resident you can contact the Centenarian and Anniversary Clerk.

You must contact the Centenarian and Anniversary Clerk to request a congratulatory message at least six weeks before the birthday or anniversary date.  Before you apply, read this privacy notice.

Birthday messages

If you live in Northern Ireland and get the UK state pension, the Centenarian and Anniversaries office will be told about your birthday by the Pensions branch. You do not need to apply.

Anniversary messages

If you are a Northern Ireland resident, celebrating a special wedding anniversary you can contact the Centenarian and Anniversary Clerk to request a congratulatory message.

You will need the following:

  • the full names, address and postcode for the couple receiving the message
  • your contact details including a valid e-mail address
  • a copy of the couple’s marriage certificate (digital photograph, scanned or paper copy) or a letter from the General Register Office (GRONI) confirming the date of marriage

If you received a congratulatory message for a previous wedding anniversary, you should contact the Centenarian and Anniversary Clerk directly as the date of marriage will have already been verified.

If you were married outside Northern Ireland, but hold a British passport and are resident in Northern Ireland you can apply to the Anniversary Clerk as above.

You will need to send the original or a legible photocopy of the marriage certificate to the clerk.

You can also apply online on The British Monarchy website.

If you don’t have an original or copy of your marriage certificate you can order one from the General Register Office for Northern Ireland (GRONI).

Find out more about ordering a marriage certificate.

Alternatively you can contact GRONI and request a ‘search only’ record to verify the date of your marriage.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.