If you don't get the grades you need for your firm or insurance choices, you have another chance to secure a place at institutions with last-minute vacancies during 'Clearing'. For further information and advice contact your local Careers Office.

Your exam results

UCAS supplies exam results to universities and colleges, so they can check whether you have achieved the grades you needed.

If you’ve missed your grades by a small margin, you may still get your place confirmed by your first choice university or college.

You may find you’ve been turned down by your first choice but accepted by your insurance choice. If you’re not keen on taking up your insurance choice, you could consider withdrawing your application and reapplying next year.

Discuss your choices with the people that know you best - your family, friends and teachers or lecturers.

How Clearing works

If your first choice and insurance institutions turn you down, you can use 'Clearing' to find another place.

If you're eligible, you’ll see your Clearing Number on your Track screen. If you have not yet submitted a UCAS application, you will need to do so before you can enter Clearing.

Looking for a course through Clearing

From the day the A level results come out in August, course vacancies are advertised on the UCAS website and in the national press.

After looking at vacancies, you should talk to the admissions staff at any universities and colleges with places available on courses you’re interested in. You should let them have your Clearing Number.

Staff will be able to tell you whether they are prepared to offer you a place. If they are, and you choose to accept it, you should enter details of the institution and course on Track.

You can only enter details for one choice. If a university or college confirms your place in Clearing, you are committed to taking up that place and you can't seek a place elsewhere.

However, if the university or college decides not to offer you a place in Clearing, the 'Add Clearing Choice; button will re-appear on Track and you will be able to apply for another course.

Financial help

If you accept a place through Clearing, you should tell the people who deal with your application for student finance. In most cases, this will be your local authority. They can then make the necessary arrangements for any financial help you're entitled to.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.