Changing your UCAS application

Once you've applied for a place through UCAS, you can follow the progress of your application online. If your circumstances change or you change your mind about your course choices, let UCAS know within seven days from the date of your welcome letter.

Checking your UCAS application details

Once you've submitted your UCAS application, you will get a welcome letter with the details of the courses you've applied to. Let UCAS know if the details are wrong.

The welcome letter gives you a Personal ID to access 'Track', a feature on the UCAS website that lets you follow the progress of your application. You will also need the username and password you used to apply to access Track.

You will be able to see online which universities have offered you places, and then accept or decline each offer online.

Updating your details

If you change your postal or email address, you can amend your details using Track.

If there is any change in your exam subjects or examining board, write to UCAS with the details, as you can't make these changes online.

Changing your university or college

You can change your choices of universities and colleges up to seven days from the date of your welcome letter. After that, it's not usually possible to change your choices, although exceptions are sometimes made for students with personal problems or changed family circumstances.

If this is the case, your school or referee should write to UCAS to explain your situation. If you choose fewer than five universities or colleges on your application, it's possible to add further choices up until the end of June if you have not accepted offers elsewhere.

Changing your course

If you are unhappy with your choice, it may be possible to change course or postpone entry. In both cases, write directly to the university or college. They will let UCAS know about any changes.

Student finance

If you change your university, college or course after you have applied for student finance, you will need to let the right people know. In most cases, you should update your local authority first.

Withdrawing your application

If you want to withdraw your application, phone UCAS. If you withdraw, you will not be able to make another application during the academic year, and you will not be eligible for the Clearing system.

If you withdraw due to personal problems and wish to re-send an application for the same academic year, write to UCAS, giving full details of your situation. You can only re-send an application in exceptional circumstances.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.