Checking job applicants, employees and volunteers

When an employer needs criminal record information about a job applicant or volunteer, they must get the right level of check for the individual. If the employee or volunteer is from overseas, AccessNI might be able to provide some criminal record information about the individual.

Checks for employees and volunteers

All employers can ask an individual to apply for a basic check which will disclose their unspent convictions. Certain employers must get higher level checks for their employees and volunteers.  

Employers mustn't ask an employee or volunteer for a subject access disclosure.

Reusing disclosure certificates

AccessNI disclosure certificates are only accurate on the issue date. 

A basic disclosure certificate is a statement showing an unspent criminal record or lack of criminal record, at a particular time. Disclosure certificates should be used immediately. With a dated certificate, there's a risk that the applicant’s criminal record has changed.

You should be cautious about accepting dated checks or transferring disclosure certificates to later roles or jobs. Before you accept a previously issued basic disclosure certificate, you should also consider if:

  • your organisation has a legal obligation to get a fresh disclosure
  • the identity details on the certificate match those of the applicant
  • the disclosure certificate is genuine and has not been tampered with
  • the level of certificate is suitable for the post 

Standard or enhanced certificates should not be re-used as each application should be counter-signed by a registered person for the specific role or position.

Security features on an AccessNI disclosure certificate

An AccessNI certificate has security features to verify if it has been counterfeited or altered.

A certificate printed on paper has the watermark 'DOCUCHECK' which reads 'NOT AN ORIGINAL' when copied.

A digital certificate has a watermark which indicates 'Valid certificate - unless printed'.

If you aren't sure an AccessNI certificate is genuine or if you think that it may have been altered, contact:

Filtered checks

Some convictions and cautions are removed from AccessNI standard and enhanced checks. This is filtering. Filtered information doesn't appear on a disclosure certificate. 

To read more about filtering, go to:

Errors in an application for a check

Make sure you give accurate, legible information to AccessNI. If there's an error on an application, AccessNI will reject the application and return it to the registered body.

If there are differences between information on the application and identity documents supplied that aren't fraudulent, the registered body should tell the applicant.

Don't amend the application form without the applicant's agreement, as this invalidates their declaration on the form.

Don't process an application if you think an applicant has given a false identity document To report identity fraud, contact:

Employing someone with a criminal conviction

If a job applicant’s criminal conviction is disclosed, an employer should consider its relevance to the job.

If the applicant is on a barred list, they are breaking the law when they apply to work or volunteer with vulnerable groups in regulated activity.

To read guidance about employing someone with a conviction that happened during Northern Ireland's troubles, go to:

Checking applicants from overseas

AccessNI cannot access criminal records held overseas, unless the applicant is doing regulated work with children and is: 

  • German
  • Lithuanian
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Italian
  • Slovakian
  • Bulgarian
  • Hungarian
  • Latvian
  • Polish
  • Romanian
  • Czech 
  • Greek
  • Dutch

You can send an application while the individual is overseas.

Police National Computer

If you're recruiting people who are abroad, an AccessNI check might reveal overseas criminal records held on the Police National Computer. As AccessNI can't usually access criminal records held overseas, an AccessNI check might not give an individual's full criminal record.

If you want to employ someone from another country and need a criminal record for them, go to:

Certificate of good conduct

An employer can ask a job applicant from overseas to provide references and a certificate of good conduct. This should be an original letter or certificate on letterhead from an embassy or High Commission. The certificate should be a certified translation in English. 

The standard of foreign police checks varies according to criminal record systems used. AccessNI doesn't translate documents.

Checking an applicant's right to work in the UK

An employer is always responsible for making sure their employees have valid work visas to work in the UK.

Portable checks

Employers in England and Wales accept portable disclosure certificates. If an English or Welsh person applies for a role in Northern Ireland using a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) portable check, an employer can still ask them to get an AccessNI check.

Checking an applicant’s identity

An employer should verify each employee’s identity. This involves checking proof of their:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • permanent address on a utility bill (gas, electric, landline telephone)
  • photographic ID on a current passport or driving licence

For guidance on checking an employee's identity, go to:

To read guidance for checking a British passport, go to:

Checks for staff and volunteers going overseas

If you're sending staff or volunteers from Northern Ireland to work with children or vulnerable adults in other countries, you might need to arrange a criminal record check for each individual. To identify when an employer, charity or aid organisation in Northern Ireland needs to do a criminal record check, go to:

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.