Think about walking for shorter journeys
Reducing traffic and air pollution
In recent months more people have been choosing to walk as part of their journey or daily exercise.
Try to build walking into your normal everyday routine. For example, you could:
- go for a walk at lunchtime - this can give you an energy boost for the afternoon
- get off the bus a stop or two earlier than usual
- walk to the shop instead of using the car
- walk up flights of stairs, rather than use a lift
Not only will your own health benefit from walking more, but you'll help cut down on traffic congestion and reduce air pollution.
When out walking:
- use footpaths where available
- always walk on the right hand side facing the oncoming traffic
You can find out more about the benefits of walking at this link:
There are a few simple rules for pedestrians that can keep you safe.