Ejaculation problems

Ejaculation problems are common sexual problems in men. If you have a problem with ejaculation, see your GP who will discuss the problem with you. They may examine you or refer you to a specialist.

About ejaculation problems

The three main ejaculation problems are:

  • premature ejaculation
  • delayed ejaculation
  • retrograde ejaculation

These are described in more detail below. There is also a section discussing ‘blood in your semen’.

Premature ejaculation

Premature ejaculation is the most common ejaculation problem. It's where ejaculation happens too quickly during sex. Occasional episodes of premature ejaculation are common and aren't a cause for concern. If around half your attempts at sex result in premature ejaculation, it might help to get treatment.

Causes of premature ejaculation

Various psychological and physical factors can cause a man to suddenly experience premature ejaculation.

Common physical causes include:

Common psychological causes include:

It's possible but less common, for a man to have always experienced premature ejaculation since becoming sexually active.

Treating premature ejaculation

There are a number of things you can try yourself before seeking medical help, see information on the NHS website.

If you're in a long-term relationship, you may benefit from having couples therapy. During these sessions, the therapist will encourage couples to explore any relationship issues they have. They will also give couples advice about resolving them.

There is also medication that can be used to help treat the condition. See your GP who will be able to discuss the problem with you and discuss treatment options with you.

Delayed ejaculation

Delayed ejaculation (male orgasmic disorder) is classed as either:

  • experiencing a significant delay before ejaculation lasting for 30 to 60 minutes
  • being unable to ejaculate at all, even though the man wants to and his erection is normal at least half the times you have sex

Causes of delayed ejaculation

Delayed ejaculation can also be caused by psychological and physical factors.

Possible psychological causes of delayed ejaculation are similar to those of premature ejaculation.

Physical causes of delayed ejaculation include:

Many medicines are known to cause delayed ejaculation, including:

  • antidepressants, particularly SSRIs
  • medications to treat high blood pressure, such as beta-blockers
  • antipsychotics
  • muscle relaxants
  • powerful painkillers

Delayed ejaculation can suddenly start to happen after previously having no problems, or the man may have always experienced it.

It may occur in all sexual situations or only in certain situations, such as during sex but not during masturbation. When ejaculation only occurs in certain situations, there's usually a psychological cause.

Treating delayed ejaculation

Sex therapy is a form of counselling that uses a combination of psychotherapy and structured changes in your sex life.

Find information about psychosexual services:

Availability can vary depending on where you live. You can also pay privately. 

The relationship counselling service Relate also offers sex therapy at a number of its centres. You’ll need to pay for each session. There are a number of alternative medications that can be used if it's thought medication you are currently taking is responsible for causing delayed ejaculation. Your GP can recommend if switching medication is suitable for you.

Alcohol misuse and drug use can be separate underlying causes of delayed ejaculation, so addressing these problems may help.

Retrograde ejaculation

Retrograde ejaculation is a rarer type of ejaculation problem. It happens when semen travels backwards into the bladder instead of through the urethra (the tube that urine passes through).

The main symptoms of retrograde ejaculation include:

  • producing no semen, or only a small amount, during ejaculation
  • producing cloudy urine (because of the semen in it) when you first go to the toilet after having sex

The condition doesn't pose a danger to health. It can affect the ability to father a child.

Causes of retrograde ejaculation

Retrograde ejaculation is caused by damage to the nerves or muscles that surround the neck of the bladder where the urethra connects.

Usually when you ejaculate, semen is pushed out of your urethra. It’s prevented from entering your bladder by the muscles around the neck of the bladder, which close tightly at the point of orgasm.

Damage to the surrounding muscles or nerves can stop the bladder neck closing, causing the semen to move into the bladder rather than up through the urethra.

The most common causes of retrograde ejaculation include:

Other potential causes include:

Treating retrograde ejaculation

Most men don’t need treatment for retrograde ejaculation because they’re still able to enjoy a healthy sex life and the condition doesn’t affect their health.

But if treatment is required, your health professional will discuss treatment options with you.

Men who want to have children can have sperm taken from their urine for use in artificial insemination or in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).

Involve your partner

If you're having problems with your sex life and are seeking treatment, it’s usually recommended you involve your partner as much as possible. Communicating your concerns can often help to resolve them. In some cases, your partner may also have their own problems that are contributing towards problems with your sex life.

Blood in your semen

Finding blood in your semen (haematospermia) can be alarming. In most cases it's not serious and will pass within a few days.

The most likely cause is infection of your urethra (urethritis) or prostate (prostatitis).

See your GP or visit your local genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic if the symptoms persist, because the causes may be more serious.


The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.