Working in another European Union member state

If you are entitled to work in a European Union (EU) member state and you are temporarily transferred by your employer from one member state to another, you are known as a ‘posted worker’ and some of your employment terms and conditions are regulated by the Posted Workers Directive.

Right to work in another EU member states

As a national of the European Union (EU) or Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein (parts of the European Economic Area) you have the right to work in any other member state. You do not need a work permit.

You will also have the same rights as nationals of your destination country in working conditions, pay and social security matters.

Information on working in Europe is available from the European jobs network EURES (the European Employment Services). You can use the EURES website to register your CV, look for jobs or find information on living and working in the EU and EEA countries

Posted workers

Your employer might post you to another European Union member state because:

  • they have company offices in another country
  • you are transferred to an associate company, or company controlled by your employer in another member state
  • they have a contract to fulfil or supply services in another member state
  • you work for an employment business that hires out labour to another EU member state, but continues to employ you directly
  • Northern Ireland and the World

Protection for posted workers

Your employer must comply with basic employment terms and conditions in the country you have been posted to. This means that if the country you have been posted to has, for example, a higher minimum wage, you become entitled to the minimum wage of that country.

Your employer is not prevented from offering you more favourable employment terms and conditions than the minimum provided by the country you have been posted to.

The terms and conditions that apply to posted workers are:

National collective agreements

It is also possible that your terms and conditions of work might be regulated by universally applicable national collective agreements, although none are in force in the UK.

Tax and national insurance provisions

Tax and National Insurance provisions are not covered by the Posted Workers Directive.

As a national of the European Union, working in another member state, find out how to register for tax purposes and what social security contributions  you need to make to your home country by contacting HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Where to get help

For further information on living and working in Northern Ireland and your rights as a migrant worker in an alternative language, visit the Alternative languages and choose the language of your choice.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.