NI Water is responsible for the water you have in your home. Before the water reaches your tap, a treatment process screens and filters water to remove anything that could be harmful. NI Water also provides public sewers to collect waste water from households and businesses.
If you're concerned about the water quality, contact NI Water. They can take samples for analysis.
Responsibility for pipes
NI Water and householders share responsibility for the pipework connecting water mains to properties:
- NI Water is responsible for the mains in the street, the pipe that runs from the mains to the stop tap at the boundary of the site and the stop tap
- the householder is responsible for the pipework between the stop tap and the property and the plumbing inside the property
Interruptions to your water supply
Sometimes the water to your home will be turned off for maintenance work.
You'll get at least 48 hours' written notice if the interruption will last for more than four hours.
If there is a burst main or other problem with water, you might not get advance notice about the interruption.
For more information about unplanned interruptions to supply, contact Waterline:
- telephone 03457 440088
Where the supply is interrupted for more than 24 hours, NI Water will provide alternative supplies.
Sometimes NI Water turns off sections of the mains network as part of the regular programme for checking for leaks. Usually they do this overnight when it's less likely to cause much disruption.
To report a water leak, go to:
Getting connected to the public water or sewerage system
If you need more information about connecting to the public water supply, contact NI Water. They provide water services including:
- first time water service appraisal
- extensions to the watermain distribution system and sewer network
- watermains in new development
- adoption of sewerage systems
- Services for developers and house builders
Customer Care Register
Older people and people with a serious medical condition or who need extra help can join the Customer care register: