Towing safety information

This page details road safety information for those towing a vehicle such as a caravan or trailer

Whether you’re planning to tour with your caravan, transport horses or move a trailer load, towing gives you the freedom to take what you want, where you want.

However, to ensure vehicle stability and the safety of other road users, you need to know the laws that apply to towing.

Room to manoeuvre

The Highway Code NI (Rule 160) says if you are driving a long vehicle or towing a trailer give other vehicles, especially cycles and motorcycles, plenty of room. Remember - the extra length will affect overtaking and manoeuvring and the extra weight will also affect the braking and acceleration.

Towing regulations

Towing regulations refer to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This means the permissible maximum weight. You may not be planning to drive a vehicle, or a vehicle towing a trailer, at these maximum weights, but these are key factors that determine driver licensing requirements.

What you can tow with your licence

If you passed a car test before 1 January 1997, you are generally entitled to
drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM or a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

If you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997 and have an
ordinary category B (Car) licence, you are limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) MAM towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM. For anything heavier you need to pass a category B+E driving test.

Pulling your weight

Most cars have a maximum weight they can tow. The Highway Code NI (Rule 98) says that you must not tow more than your licence permits.

Towing limits are normally found in the vehicle handbook or specification sheet. Alternatively the vehicle’s gross train weight may be listed on the manufacturer’s plate.

Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres. The
maximum length is 7 metres for a trailer towed by a vehicle weight up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kg).

Safety rules

When towing, the equipment you use must meet certain safety standards.

Towing bars

Towing bars need to be ‘type approved’. A type approved tow bar will have a label with an approval number and details of the vehicles it is approved for. If your car was first used before 1 August 1998, your tow bar does not need to be type approved.

Towing mirrors

You must have an adequate view of the road behind you. If your caravan or trailer is wider than the rear of the towing vehicle, you may need to fit suitable towing mirrors. If you fail to do this you could receive three penalty points on your licence and a fine of up to £1,000.

Trailer brakes

Any trailer weighing over 750kgs must have a working brake system.
Some smaller trailers also have brakes, although these are optional.
The brakes on a trailer or caravan must be in good working order.

Tow bar towing stabiliser

A good stabiliser fitted to the tow bar can make the combination safer
to handle. However, you are still responsible for loading the combination
correctly. A good stabiliser will not cure instability caused by a poor towing
vehicle/ trailer combination. The stabiliser does give added security in
crosswinds, especially when large goods vehicles overtake on a motorway.

A-frames and dollies

If you attach an A-frame to a car to tow it with a larger vehicle,
the car plus the A-frame count as a trailer. If you use a dolly to tow a
broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer. In both cases the usual
safety regulations for trailers apply.

Towing an American caravan or trailer

American trailers and caravans don’t always meet European safety
regulations. If you want to use an American caravan or trailer in the UK or the EU, you must first check that it's legal.

Safety checks

Before starting your journey, check that the caravan, horsebox or trailer:

  •  is loaded correctly with the right nose weight on the tow bar
  •  is correctly hitched up with the breakaway cable attached, or secondary coupling head fully engaged and locked
  •  has lights and indicators which are connected and working correctly
  •  jockey wheel and assembly is fully retracted and in the stowed position
  •  braking system is working correctly
  •  windows, roof light and door are closed
  •  tyre pressures are correct

In addition The Highway Code NI (Rule 98) says as a driver:

  •  you must secure your load and it must not stick out dangerously - make sure heavy or sharp objects and animals are secured safely - If there is a collision, they might hit someone inside the vehicle and cause serious injury
  •  you should properly distribute the weight in your caravan or trailer, with heavy items mainly over the axle(s) and ensure a downward load on the tow ball - The manufacturer’s recommended weight and tow ball load should not be exceeded - This should avoid the possibility of swerving or snaking and going out of control - If this does happen, ease off the accelerator and reduce speed gently to regain control
  • you may need to adjust the headlights when carrying a load or pulling a trailer -  in the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous - you should consider professional recovery
  • check your caravan, horsebox or trailer tyres for tread depth, damage and cracking of the sidewalls - even if the tread depth shows little wear or is above the legal minimum, the tyre may be suffering from the effects of ageing
  • check that your caravan, horsebox or trailer is fitted with tyres of the specified rating (see the manufacturer’s handbook)

Remember - never allow anyone to travel in the caravan, horsebox or trailer.

How to tow at length

Always be aware of the increased weight, length and width of the combined vehicles.

You should:

  • allow more time and brake earlier when slowing down or stopping
  • give yourself three times the normal distance and time to overtake safely
  • take account of the extra length, particularly when turning or emerging at junctions


(Rules 200 - 203)

  •  choose an appropriate place to manoeuvre
  • if you need to turn your car and trailer around, wait until you find a safe place
  • do not reverse or turn around in a busy road
  • do not reverse from a side road into a main road - Look carefully before you start to reverse
  • check the ‘Blind Spot' behind you
  • check there are no vulnerable road users such as pedestrians (particularly children), motorcyclists and cyclists or obstructions in the road behind you
  • if possible, look mainly through the rear window
  • check all around just before you start to turn and be aware that the front of your vehicle will swing out as you turn
  •  get someone to guide you if you cannot see clearly

Remember - You must not reverse your vehicle further than necessary.


Never try to correct swerving or ‘snaking’ by increasing speed, steering
sharply or braking hard. The best advice is to ease off the accelerator
slowly, allow a certain amount of “twitch” in the steering, and reduce
speed until the snaking has stopped.

High sided vehicles

Take extra care when passing or being passed by high-sided vehicles. Allow
as much space as possible to avoid the effects of turbulence or buffeting.

Speed limits

Some speed limits are lower than normal when you are towing. Unless
road signs tell you otherwise you must not exceed:

  • 30 mph in built-up areas
  • 50 mph on single carriageways
  • 60 mph on dual carriageways or motorways

Reduce your speed in high or crosswinds, when travelling downhill and in poor visibility.

Motorway driving
(Rules 263 & 265)

On a motorway you must not reverse, cross the central reservation or drive missed your exit or have taken the wrong route, carry on to the next exit.

Caravans, horseboxes or trailers should not be towed in the outside lane of
a motorway having more than two lanes, unless other lanes are closed.

Be considerate - other road users can often become frustrated by slow moving towing vehicles, which can lead to dangerous risks being taken. So check your mirrors frequently and if you are holding up a queue of traffic be prepared to pull in where it is safe to let other faster traffic pass.

Download your free copy of The Highway Code NI

This leaflet is available in other formats.
Call 0300 200 7838

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.