Taking your pets abroad

If you are going abroad and want to take your pet cat, dog or ferret with you, the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) makes it easier and more affordable for you to travel with pets. Working guide dogs and hearing dogs may also travel on the scheme.

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)

PETS is designed to halt the spread of rabies and other diseases while still allowing pets to travel. 

Northern Ireland has been free of rabies for many years, but in some other countries there is still a risk of the disease to mammals. The largest risk for rabies entering here would be through an infected animal smuggled in illegally.

All rabies-susceptible animals entering the UK are normally required to spend four months in quarantine, unless they arrive under and meet all the conditions of PETS.

All pet dogs (including assistance dogs), cats and ferrets can enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine under PETS provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which differ depending on the country the pet is travelling from.

They might then be able to get early release if they can be shown to meet the necessary pet travel requirements.  

Countries participating in PETS include most parts of Europe and many non-European destinations.

Check the current position, the full procedure for preparing your pet, and get more information about the scheme on the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) website.

Eligibility for PETS

To be eligible, your cat, dog or ferret must:

  • be fitted with a microchip
  • be vaccinated against rabies
  • wait 21 days from the date of their first rabies vaccination before travelling to another EU member state or approved Third Country

If, however, travelling to the EU from an unlisted country the following will also be required:

  • be blood tested with a satisfactory result by a European-approved laboratory
  • wait three calendar months from the date the satisfactory blood sample was taken before entering/ re-entering the UK

An ‘unlisted’ country is any country not included in the list of EU and non-EU countries.

Before you travel to any country you should contact the relevant competent veterinary authority to confirm any specific entry requirements and discuss these with your vet.

Pet passport

As well as the above, you must also make sure that your pet:

  • is issued with a pet passport by a vet/ third country health certificate
  • dogs are treated by a vet for tapeworm – not less than 24 hours and not more than five days before your expected arrival in UK 
  • travels into the UK on a PETS-approved sea, air or rail route

You can get additional information at the following links:

Returning to Northern Ireland

There are strict legal controls on the entry of animals into Northern Ireland aimed at preventing the introduction of rabies.

Your pet and its documents will need to be checked when you travel (or are returning) to Northern Ireland. 

In order to make sure that this check is arranged, you must fill out an application for an Import Authorisation at least 10 days before your pet enters Northern Ireland.

If you don’t have the right documents, or your pet hasn’t been properly prepared, it will be:

  • licensed into quarantine until it fully meets the entry requirements; or
  • sent back to the country it travelled from

You must pay the costs for this.


Cats, dogs and other rabies-susceptible animals that do not qualify for entry into the UK under PETS are normally required by law to spend four months in quarantine.

Your pet will be detained, at your expense, at an approved quarantine premises for up to four calendar months from the date of its landing. However it can be released at any time for immediate re-export.

Unaccompanied pets entering the UK under licence for quarantine from third countries (those outside of the European Union) may only do so through approved Border Inspection Posts (BIPs). For the UK, these are currently London Heathrow or London Gatwick Airport.


If there is a rabies outbreak, you can find out how it would be dealt with on the DAERA website.

Additional information on rabies can be found at the following links:

Before you travel with your pet

Before travelling abroad with your pet, you must book beforehand. Your pet will not be allowed to travel without booking.

These tips can help make your pet's journey as comfortable as possible:

  • make sure your pet is as fit and healthy as possible to withstand the journey
  • give them a light meal about two hours before they travel
  • give your pet the opportunity to go to the toilet before it is put in its carrying container
  • let your pet 'try out' the carrying container before the trip
  • the carrying container should be well-ventilated, roomy enough for the animal to move around, safe and have adequate food and water for the trip, with easily refillable containers for a long journey
  • put a familiar-smelling cushion or rug in the container to help your pet settle

Travel with registered assistance dogs

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, in partnership with other UK assistance dog organisations, Defra, and a number of UK airlines has produced a set of guidelines for registered assistance dog owners wishing to use PETS.

Pets entering Northern Ireland on airlines under the Pet Travel Scheme must normally be carried in the hold. However, guide dogs or other assistance dogs may be allowed to travel in the cabin with their owner on certain approved routes.

Contact your travel operator or airline before you travel for full requirements.

Pet travel to the EU 

The UK left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020 and is now in a transition period until 31 December 2020.

During the transition period, the UK will continue to follow the EU's rules for pet travel. 


More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.