On the Strangford Lough ferry service the crew will:
- provide prompt and clear instructions and broadcast messages - health and safety and loading/ unloading announcements will be a priority
- help foot passengers with a disability or reduced mobility to make their way between the designated waiting points at the top of the slipways and the vessel
- help foot passengers to get on and off the vessel
- help vehicle drivers to get on and off the vessel
- help with the handling of necessary mobility equipment
- help owners of recognised assistance dogs
- help passengers to evacuate the vessel and board a life raft
- make reasonable efforts to arrange seating for people with a disability or people with a reduced mobility
If you ask the crew for help or help with specific passenger needs, they will let you know quickly if they are unable to carry out the request and they'll give a reason for the decision.
Dealing with a complaint
If you have a complaint about any aspect of the service you should contact the Ferry Manager either in person, in writing, by telephone or by email. It would be helpful if as much detail as possible about the date and time of travel and circumstances of the complaint is provided.
The Ferry Manager can be contacted at:Strangford Ferry Terminal
1 The Slip
- phone: 0300 200 7898
- textphone: 028 9054 0642
- email: Strangfordferry@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk
The ferry service aims to respond to all verbal enquiries (those made by phone or during visits) by the end of the next working day. A written reply will not normally be issued to a verbal complaint.
Passengers should be aware that the Ferry Office is only manned during office hours.
Alternatively you can write to:The Divisional Manager
Department for Infrastructure (DfI) Roads
DfI Roads aims to reply to written enquiries within 15 working days. Where a fuller investigation is required, they will let you know the likely time it will take and keep you informed of progress, responding as soon as possible.
None of the above information will affect your rights.
If you consider that a complaint has not been dealt with in a satisfactory way, you can contact the Consumer Council at:The Consumer Council
116 Holywood Road
It is the Strangford ferry service's target to make a vehicle ferry available for 97 per cent of planned crossings.
For information on being notified about service disruptions, please see the link below: