Stormont Estate: outdoor gym and fitness trail
Find out about the outdoor gym on the Stormont Estate which has a range of cardio and toning equipment - and the estate's fitness trail.
The outdoor gym on the Stormont Estate has a range of cardio and toning equipment.
Outdoor gym equipment - what it's for
Each item of equipment comes with user instructions that explain what it's for.
- chest press and seated row - builds muscles in the upper chest
- dips and leg raise - the dip works the chest muscles while the leg raise works the stomach muscles
- lateral pull down - works the largest muscles in the upper body
- shoulder press - mainly works shoulder muscles
- leg press - exercises the four muscles on the front of the thigh (quads) - a group of three muscles which make up the buttocks (glutes) and a group of muscles at the rear of the upper leg (hamstrings)
- sit up bench - strengthens stomach muscles
- pull up and assisted pull up - exercises the upper body
- two spinning bikes - you sit on a seat and pedal to get your workout
- two cross trainers - like an exercise bike with no saddle, on which you exercise the arms and legs
- recumbent bike - it places the rider in a laid-back reclining position, giving you good back support while you cycle
- accessible hand bike - a bike powered by the arms rather than the legs
To get to the outdoor gym, enter the Stormont Estate through the main pedestrian gate on the Newtownards Road. Take the first path on the left of the main avenue and walk the short distance to the gym.
Stormont Estate also has a fitness trail. It starts to the left of the main entrance, opposite the outdoor gym. It consists of nine different stations to carry out various exercises:
- sit up beam
- horizontal ladder
- side vault
- pull up bar
- parallel bars
- monkey bars
- long wall climber
- balance run
- push up/sit up