Sexual health

Sexual health is an important part of your physical and mental health, as well as your emotional and social well-being. It’s important to take care of your sexual health. If you have children, it is good to talk to them about sex and relationships.

Safer sex and health

Both men and women need to look after their sexual health and understand issues surrounding sexual relationships and consent, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy and contraception.

Protecting your sexual health

If you choose to be sexually active, there are steps you can take to help protect your sexual health.

This includes:

  • talking to your partner about your relationship
  • using contraception, including condoms and dental dams
  • getting tested for sexually transmitted infections
  • limiting your number of sexual partners
  • avoiding overlapping sexual relationships
  • being aware of how alcohol and drugs can lower inhibitions and affect your decision making

Young people and sexual health

Although there is a legal age of consent, it’s not necessarily the right age for everyone to begin having sex. It’s important that you and your partner are both comfortable and sure you want to begin having a sexual relationship.

Around one quarter of the population of Northern Ireland is made up of people aged 16-34. However, this age group accounts for 82 per cent of STIs. It's important before you start having sex that you make sure you are aware of the risks and how to avoid them.

If you’re a parent, it is important that you are able to talk to your children about sex and relationships.

Alcohol and sex

Alcohol and drugs can affect your sexual health and wellbeing. Too much alcohol or drug use can mean you might take more risks. This includes having sex when you normally wouldn’t or, when you do, not using a condom.

Results from a survey of people living in Northern Ireland show that 31 per cent of people agreed that alcohol has contributed to them having sex without using a condom.

Men who have sex with men

Men who have sex with men (MSM) experience increased rates of certain STIs, including HIV, syphilis, gonorrhoea and hepatitis.

HIV diagnoses among MSM in Northern Ireland have stayed at increased levels. Gonorrhoea cases in MSM are almost six times higher in 2017 compared with 2010.

If you are a man having sex with men, there are ways you can protect your sexual health, including;

  • always use a condom for oral and anal sex
  • get tested regularly – at least once a year, or every three months if you change sexual partners
  • get the hepatitis A and B vaccinations
  • be aware of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for HIV
  • find out if you are able to access the new pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) currently being trialled in Northern Ireland
  • getting human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination if you are aged under 45 years and go to a GUM or HIV clinic

MSM also have an increased risk of hepatitis A. Hepatitis A is spread mainly through contaminated food or poor hand-washing, but can also be passed on easily through sex. During sex, it is mainly passed on:

  • when licking skin, condoms or sex toys that have small amounts of faeces on them
  • during oral-anal sex
  • when giving oral sex after anal sex


There are many methods of contraception to prevent pregnancy. Different methods will suit different people.


Condoms are the only form of contraception that can protect against both pregnancy and STIs. If you are sexually active, using condoms correctly is an important part of taking care of your sexual health.

You should always use a condom with new and casual partners.

When using condoms, always:

  • use a new condom
  • make sure it has not reached its use by date
  • make sure they have the European CE standard mark, which means they meet high safety standards
  • use plenty of lubrication for anal sex

Other forms of contraception

There are a number of other forms of contraception for you to consider, depending on your needs. These include:

  • the contraceptive pill
  • implants
  • intrauterine device (IUD)
  • intrauterine system (IUS)
  • patches
  • contraceptive injections

More information on different types of contraception is available from the Family Planning Association.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) can be passed on when you have unprotected sex or other close sexual contact with another person. More information on STIs can be found at the following links:

Getting tested

It is important you get tested if you think you are at risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection (STI). If you have had unprotected sex, or the condom split or came off, you can use emergency contraception.

If you are sexually active and if you are unsure about your partner’s sexual history, you risk getting an STI. People of any age can get a sexually transmitted infection.

You should get a sexual health check-up if:

  • you think you might have an STI
  • you have had sex without using a condom, including vaginal, oral and anal sex
  • a condom split or came off during sex
  • you are at the beginning of a new sexual relationship
  • you or your partner have more than one sexual partner
  • you shared injecting equipment

How often you need a check-up depends on your lifestyle and your sexual activity.

If you believe you may be at risk of getting an STI, it is important to know that:

  • getting tested is free, straightforward and confidential
  • you can get tested at your nearest GUM clinic and some GP surgeries

You can find more information on GUM clinics here;

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.