Report polluted land and water

If you have concerns about contamination or pollution of land or waterways in your local area, you should contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). If you are concerned about illegal dumping, contact your local council.

Contacting NIEA

NIEA deals with various sources of pollution, including those impacting land or waterways which have harmed or could harm the environment. NIEA has good working relationships with other local and regional organisations dealing with pollution, including the emergency services and those responsible for emergency planning in central and local government.

If you have any concerns about water pollution in your local area or want to report a water pollution incident, NIEA provides a water pollution hotline on 0800 80 70 60. It is available year-round, 24 hours a day, 

It also provides a dedicated emergency pollution email address at for pollution issues that are not urgent or require immediate attention.

Regulation of water discharges

The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) must give its consent before trade or sewage waste, or other polluting substance can be discharged into waterways, or underground layers (including site drainage liable to contamination) from commercial, industrial or domestic premises.

For information on how to apply for discharge consent for either a domestic or commercial property, visit the DAERA website:

Contacting your local district council

If you have concerns about illegal dumping in your area, you can report it to your local district council.

If you are aware of other activities which may have resulted in land being affected by contamination, you can tell your local council’s Environmental Health Department.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.