Water quality monitoring
Between May and September, DAERA monitors bathing water at 26 sites across Northern Ireland. The sites are monitored weekly and water is classified into one of four categories - ‘excellent’, ‘good’, ‘satisfactory’ or ‘temporary advice issued against bathing’.
May to September 2018 water quality results
- Antrim Coast bathing water quality
- North Coast bathing water quality
- North Down bathing water quality
- South Down bathing water quality
Blue Flag beaches
Beaches with an 'excellent' water quality compliance result may be eligible for the Blue Flag award, which also looks at beach management and facilities such as litter collection, toilets, car parking, disability access and life-saving equipment. The award applies during the bathing season.
In Northern Ireland the scheme is run by Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful, along with the Green Coast and Seaside Award schemes. In 2018, there were 9 Blue Flag beaches in Northern Ireland, 11 Seaside Award beaches and 1 Green Coast beach .
- Blue flag for beaches - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
- Seaside awards - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
- Green coast awards - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
More useful links