Water quality monitoring
Bathing water at 26 sites is monitored weekly from May to September and classified into one of four categories ‘excellent’, ‘good’, ‘satisfactory’ or ‘temporary advice issued against bathing’.
May to September 2019 water quality results
Current results for bathing waters
- Antrim Coast bathing water quality
- North Coast bathing water quality
- North Coast bathing water quality (2)
- North Down bathing water quality
- South Down bathing water quality
2018 Bathing Water Compliance
|Bathing water||Compliance level|
|Portrush (Mill) West||Excellent|
|Murlough County Down||Excellent|
|Cranfield (Cranfield Bay)||Excellent|
|Portrush (Curran) East||Good|
Blue Flag beaches
Beaches with an 'excellent' water quality compliance result may be eligible for the Blue Flag award, which also looks at beach management and facilities such as litter collection, toilets, car parking, disability access and life-saving equipment. The award applies during the bathing season.
In Northern Ireland the scheme is run by Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful, along with the Green Coast and Seaside Award schemes.
In 2019, eight Blue Flag beaches and four Blue Flag Marinas in Northern Ireland, 12 Seaside Award beaches and one Green Coast beach were recognised.
- Blue flag for beaches - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
- Seaside awards - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
- Green coast awards - Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful website
More useful links
- Northern Ireland Beach Bathing Water Quality map – DAERA website
- Enjoying coasts and beaches
- Air and water quality