Providing proof of your identity for a basic check

If you are applying for a basic check you will need to send proof of your identity to AccessNI to complete your application. You must do this within 14 days or they can't process your application. You need to use acceptable forms of identification.

Completing a basic check application

Your application for a basic check is not complete until AccessNI has received the required proof of your identity.

You must send the required proof of your identity to AccessNI within 14 days. AccessNI won't process your application without this proof.

When you pay online for the check, you'll receive a confirmation email from AccessNI. This email includes an attachment telling you how to send AccessNI proof of your identity.

How to send your identity documents

To send your identity documents to AccessNI, you can:

  • take a picture of the documents with a smart phone and send by email
  • scan the documents and attach to an email
  • send the copies by post

You must also include an attachment or copy of the confirmation email when you send the documents. 

Send your documents:

Acceptable forms of identification

You must send three forms of ID to AccessNI. One document from Group 1 and two documents from Group 1, Group 2a or Group 2b. One document must show your current address.  

If you can't provide a document from Group 1, you must send four documents from Groups 2a and 2b.  One document must be a birth certificate.  One document must show your current home address.

If you can't provide these documents, contact AccessNI:

  • telephone 0300 200 7788

You might need:

  • to get an external validation check from a commercial organisation
  • to go to a police station to have your fingerprints taken

Group 1 identity documents

You must select one from the list below:

  • current passport (any nationality)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
  • current driving licence (UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or any EEA country)
  • original birth certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) issued at time of birth
  • original long form Irish birth certificate issued at time of registration of birth (Republic of Ireland)
  • adoption certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)

Group 2a identity documents

You must select two from the list below:

  • birth certificate (UK, ROI, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) issued after time of birth
  • marriage/civil partnership certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)
  • firearms licence (UK and Channel Islands)
  • current driving licence photocard (full or provisional) all countries outside the EEA
  • current driving licence, full or provisional paper version if issued before 1998 (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, EEA)
  • electoral ID card (NI only)
  • Immigration document, visa or work permit (issued by a country outside the EEA - valid only if the applicant is working in the country that issued the document)

Group 2b documents

From the list below, you must use documents issued in the last 12 months:

  • mortgage statement (UK, EEA)
  • financial statement such as ISA, pension or endowment 
  • P45 or P60 statement (UK, Channel Islands)
  • Land & Property Services rate bill
  • property tax statement (Great Britain, Channel Islands)

From the list below, you must use documents issued in the last three months:

  • credit card statement (UK, EEA)
  • bank or building society statement (UK, EEA)
  • bank or building society statement (outside EEA) - the branch must be in the country where you live and work
  • central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, for example from the Department for Work and Pensions, The Employment Service, HMRC (UK, Channel Islands)
  • bank or building society account opening confirmation letter (UK, EEA)
  • utility bill but not a mobile telephone bill (UK, EEA)
  • benefit statement such as child benefit, pensions (UK, Channel Islands)

Documents on the list below must be valid when you apply for the check:

  • EU national ID card
  • 60+ or Senior (65+) Smartpass issued by Translink (NI)
  • yLink card issued by Translink (NI)
  • cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)
  • letter from head teacher or further education college principal (UK for 16 to19 year olds in full time education, this is used if other documents cannot be provided)
  • letter of sponsorship from future employment provider or voluntary organisation (non UK or non EEA only for applicants residing outside the UK at time of application.)

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.