Completing a basic check application
Your application for a basic check is not complete until AccessNI has received the required proof of your identity.
You must send the required proof of your identity to AccessNI within 14 days. If you fail to do this, your application will be incomplete and will not be processed.
Once you have completed the payment part of the online application, you will receive a confirmation email from AccessNI. This email includes an attachment, which will tell you how to send proof of your identity to AccessNI.
Ways to send your identity documents
There are a number of ways you can send your identity documents to AccessNI. You can:
- take a picture of the documents with your smart phone and email
- scan in the documents and attach to an email
- send the copies by post
You must also include an attachment or copy of the confirmation email when you are sending the documents.
Acceptable forms of identification
You must send three forms of ID to AccessNI. One document from Group 1 and two further documents from Group 1 or Group 2a or Group 2b. At least one of the documents must show the applicant’s current address.
If you cannot provide a document from Group 1, you must send four documents from Groups 2a and 2b. One document must be a birth certificate issued after the time of birth. One document must show the applicant’s current address.
Where an individual cannot meet these requirements you should contact AccessNI on 0300 200 7788. You may be required to seek an external validation check from a commercial organisation and/or the applicant may have to attend a police station to have their fingerprints taken.
For all applicants who require an AccessNI check for employment purposes, the countersignatory declaration has been amended. A signatory must now, in addition to checking the applicant’s identity documents confirm the employing organisation has checked the individual has a right to work in the UK.
For overseas applicants please refer to the appropriate sections of the guide to identity checking for AccessNI applications.
Select one form of ID from the following:
- current passport (any nationality)
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- current driving licence (UK, ROI, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or any EEA country)
- original birth certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) issue at time of birth
- original long form Irish birth certificate –issued at time of registration of birth (ROI)
- adoption certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
Select two forms of ID from the following:
- birth certificate (UK, ROI, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) issued after time of birth
- marriage/civil partnership certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
- HM Forces ID card (UK)
- Firearms licence (UK and Channel Islands)
- current driving licence photocard (full or provisional) All countries outside the EEA
- current driving licence, full or provisional paper version if issued before 1998. (Uk, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, EEA)
- electoral ID card (NI only)
- Immigration document, visa or work permit (issued by a country outside the EEA - valid only if the applicant is working in the country that issued the document)
The following documents must have been issued within the last 12 months:
- Morgage Statement (UK, EEA)
- Financial statement, for example ISA, pension or endowment (UK)
- P45 or P60 statement (UK, Channel Islands)
- Land and Property Services rates demand (NI only)
- Council tax statement (Great Britain, Channel Islands)
The following documents must have been issued within the last three months:
- credit card statement (UK, EEA)
- bank or building society statement (UK, EEA)
- bank or building society statement (Outside EEA) - the branch must be in the country where the applicant lives and works
- central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, for example from the Department for Work and Pensions, The Employment Service, HMRC (UK, Channel Islands)
- bank or building society account opening confirmation letter (UK, EEA)
- utility bill (not mobile phone) (UK, EEA)
- benefit statement, for example child benefit, pensions etc (UK, Channel Islands)
The following documents must be valid at the time of checking:
- EU national ID card
- 60+ or Senior (65+) Smartpass issued by Translink (NI)
- yLink card issued by Translink (NI)
- cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)
- letter from head teacher or further education college principal (UK for 16-19 year olds in full time education-only used exceptional circumstances if other documents cannot be provided.)
- letter of sponsorship from future employment provider or voluntary organization (Non uk or non EEA only for applicants residing outside the UK at time of application.)