Completing a basic check application
Your application for a basic check is not complete until AccessNI has received the required proof of your identity.
You must send the required proof of your identity to AccessNI within 14 days. If you fail to do this, your application will be incomplete and will not be processed.
Once you have completed the payment part of the online application, you will receive a confirmation email from AccessNI. This email includes an attachment, which will tell you how to send proof of your identity to AccessNI.
Ways to send your identity documents
There are a number of ways you can send your identity documents to AccessNI. You can:
- take a picture of the documents with your smart phone and email
- scan in the documents and attach to an email
- send the copies by post
You must also include an attachment or copy of the confirmation email when you are sending the documents.
Acceptable forms of identification
You must send three forms of ID to AccessNI, one from Group 1 and two from Group 2. This must include at least one form of photographic ID.
If you cannot provide a document from Group 1, you must send four documents from Group 2, one of which must be a certified copy of your birth certificate.
Select one form of ID from the following:
- current passport (any nationality)
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- current driving licence (UK, ROI, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or any EU country)
- original birth certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) issue at time of birth
- original long form Irish birth certificate –issued at time of registration of birth
- adoption certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
Select two forms of ID from the following:
- certified copy of a birth certificate (UK, ROI, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
- marriage/civil partnership certificate (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
- HM Forces ID card (UK)
- National Insurance Card or notification letter with NI number (UK)
- Firearms licence (UK and Channel Islands)
- bank / building society account confirmation letter
- electoral ID card (NI only)
- EU National ID card
- cards carrying the PASS Accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)
- Senior SmartPass (Translink) (NI only)
- current UK driving licence (old paper version)
- examination certificates (16-18 year olds only)
The following Group 2 documents must have been issued within the last three months:
- bank/building society statement (UK or EEA)
- credit card statement (UK or EEA)
- utility bill (UK or ROI) – not mobile phone
- benefit statement (UK)
- addressed payslip
The following Group 2 documents must have been issued with the last 12 months:
- mortgage statement (UK or EEA)
- financial statement (UK)
- P45 or P60 statement (UK and Channel Islands)
- Land and Property Services rates demand (NI only)
- Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit)
- letter from a Head Teacher or Further Education College Principal (16-18 year olds in full time education – only to be used when other documentation routes are exhausted)