Parents with disabilities and school

Schools, colleges and universities have a duty to parents with disabilities to let them have reasonable access to services related to the education of their child or children. This is to make sure parents with disabilities can be fully involved in their child's education.

The law on disability discrimination

Disability discrimination legislation covers many areas of everyday life, including education and access to goods and services.

Many services provided by a school do not relate directly to your child's education, but are considered a 'service to the public' a under the law..

Your child's school should make 'reasonable adjustments' to procedures and policies or provide you with aids to help you access their services, like putting information in accessible formats. They must not refuse to provide a service, or provide a lesser service, to you as a parent with disabilities.

How schools can support parents with disabilities

Consider contacting the school to ask them how they support parents with disabilities such as:

  • staff disability awareness training
  • school accessibility
  • and parental information

Information for parents in alternative formats

Examples of how and when schools can make reasonable steps to provide information in alternative formats include:

  • providing a school's annual report, quarterly newsletter or your child's school report in Braille, large print, 'easy-read' or on CD
  • if a school's complaint procedure says you should write to the head teacher, you should be allowed to make a verbal complaint if you are unable to write because of your impairment

It's also important to speak to your child's teacher to let them know what support you need to help with and supervise homework.

Interpreters for deaf parents

If you are a parent who is deaf, the Education Authority can arrange an interpreter for:

  • transfer visits to prepare your child for the move from primary to secondary school
  • parent / teacher meetings
  • any visits about your child’s education

If you need this service, contact your child’s school, giving at least two weeks' notice and state if you would prefer a British Sign Language (BSL) or an Irish Sign Language (ISL) interpreter.

Parents' evenings, school events and meetings with staff

Examples of how and when schools can support parents with disabilities include:

  • using a pen and notepad to communicate with you if you are deaf or hearing impaired and/or providing induction loops in a certain room
  • arranging for an interpreter, for example, in British Sign Language (BSL) or Irish Sign Language (ISL) and/or allowing more time for one-to-one meetings
  • updating you on your child's progress by telephone or email if you are unable to go to a meeting because of your impairment
  • holding a meeting in an accessible location, for example, to avoid stairs, if you have impaired mobility
  • providing a script of a school play if you are deaf or hearing impaired to help follow the action

Visiting schools and accessibility

Examples of changes to policies and procedures, where suitable, that your child's school could make include:

  • assigning a member of staff to be responsible for meeting your access needs when you want to be shown around the school - for example,  if you are blind or visually impaired (for example, so you can familiarise yourself with the school's layout)
  • making sure the school is accessible if you are a wheelchair user by using ramps or making alterations to doorways
  • providing parking for people with disabilities and make sure other parents' vehicles do not block access
  • allowing a parent with disabilities to be accompanied by their support and assistance dog

School transport

The decision on whether, and how, to offer help with school transport is made by the Education Authority. You can find contact details for your local region at the following link.

Parents' rights

Having parental responsibility means assuming all the rights, responsibilities and authority that a parent of a child has by law. You also have rights as a parent about your child's education, for example, being able to teach your child at home. 

Help and advice

The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland offers information and advice about disability rights. 

Organisations like Disability Action also offer support and advice. 

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.