Older men's health

If you're a man over 50, health issues like prostate problems, heart disease and bladder cancer can be of particular concern.

Prostate problems

The prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system, sited near the bladder and penis and encircling the tube through which urine passes from the bladder.

Problems such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate cancer are both rare in men under 50.

Prostatitis is most common under 50 and treatable with medication or surgery.

Symptoms and diagnosis

Pain and difficulty in urinating can be caused by:

  • infection and inflammation
  • the prostate growing slowly bigger (benign prostatic hyperplasia, BPH)
  • prostate cancer – a slow-growing tumour, which also causes pain in the lower back, hips or pelvis as well as erectile problems

Awareness – what to do

The PSA test (Prostate Specific Antigen) is a test that measures the level of PSA in your blood. PSA is a substance made by the prostate gland, which naturally leaks out into the bloodstream.

A raised PSA can be an early indication of prostate cancer. However, other conditions that are not cancer (like enlargement of the prostate, prostatitis and urinary infection) can also cause a rise in PSA.

The higher the level of PSA the more likely the diagnosis is cancer. However, the PSA test can also miss prostate cancer. Diets high in dairy and animal fats may increase risk; those high in green vegetables may be protective.

Action Cancer offers clinics staffed by qualified medical personnel. This is a free and confidential service.

Prostate Cancer UK also offers help and advice - find out more from its website.

Health and Social Care Trusts

Bladder cancer

Bladder cancer affects the inner lining of the bladder and is the fourth most common cancer in men, especially men over 50. Smokers are more at risk as are people who work with chemicals used in the dye, leather and rubber industries.


Symptoms include pain during urination, blood in the urine and a frequent need to urinate.


The loss of ability to control urination is a common problem that affects as many as one in three people. It can be easily cured or at least made manageable. As a man, you're more at risk of one of two types of incontinence as you get older:

  • urge – an overpowering urge to urinate followed by heavy leakage
  • overflow – small leaks from a full bladder

Testicular problems

It's best to examine your testicles regularly for lumps, whatever your age. A common testicular problem for men of all ages is a swelling caused by a build-up of fluid around the testicle (hydrocele). You'll need to visit your doctor to get it checked.

Impotence/erectile dysfunction

Impotence or erectile dysfunction is the repeated inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.

Around five per cent of 40-year-old men may have the condition, which increases with age, possibly affecting up 25 per cent of 65 year olds. Anything that interferes with the blood flow to the penis may be a cause. Diabetes, kidney disease, chronic alcoholism, multiple sclerosis and cardiovascular disease account for many cases.

Heart disease and high blood pressure (hypertension)

One in five men dies from heart disease before the age of 75. It claims more men's lives than any other disease. Heart disease runs in families, so you have a greater chance of developing it if your family has a history of the disease. Other risk factors include:

  • smoking
  • an unhealthy diet with too much fat, particularly saturated fat
  • lack of exercise
  • being overweight
  • excess stress

High blood pressure is a major risk. If your blood pressure has been high for a long time, you are more at risk of a heart attack or stroke.

Physical and emotional health problems

Some men develop depression, loss of sex drive, impotence and other physical and emotional problems when they reach their late 40s or early 50s.

Other health problems which occur for men in this age group are:

  • hot flushes
  • mood swings
  • loss of muscle mass and fat redistribution
  • tiredness
  • dry and thin skin
  • increased sweating
  • poor concentration and irritability
  • loss of enthusiasm

These symptoms can interfere with everyday life and happiness, so it's important to work out the underlying cause, and what can be done to resolve these problems. If you are concerned, you should speak to your GP.

Male menopause, andropause and mid-life crisis are sometimes used to explain the symptoms listed above. Low levels of testosterone can sometimes be responsible for symptoms when the testes are not functioning properly.

In many cases, the symptoms are nothing to do with hormones. Other reasons for these symptoms can include:

  • anaemia
  • thyroid-gland dysfunction
  • depression
  • marital problems
  • job dissatisfaction
  • financial problems
  • alcohol misuse

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.