National Vocational Training - Guidance Notes

You can drive professionally for up to 12 months without taking the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part two and part four tests. To do this you must be taking an approved National Vocational Training (NVT) programme and have passed the Driver CPC part one and part three tests.

Start of concession period

The 12 month concession period starts from whichever of these is the latest:

  • the start date of the NVT programme you're taking
  • the date you passed the Driver CPC part three test

End of concession period

The NVT concession lasts for up to 12 months. It will end sooner if you:

  • stop taking the NVT programme
  • complete the NVT programme

You must have passed the Driver CPC part two and part four tests before the concession period ends. You must stop driving professionally if you haven't.

Apply for the concession

To apply, download the application form and send it to the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA). You'll need to include the fee of £25 and proof that your NVT course qualifies, as well as evidence from the awarding body to verify that you are registered on the NVT.

Contact details

Driver Vehicle Agency
NVT Administrator
Business Support Unit
Balmoral Road
Malone Lower
BT12 6QL

Or you can contact DVA by telephone or by email:


Drivers must be on an approved learning programme which lasts at least six months to take advantage of the NVT concession. This programme of learning must lead to a qualification. Drivers and/or employers will be required to evidence this when applying for the concession.

The qualification must be:

  • based on relevant National Occupational Standards
  • at QCF Level 2 / SCQF level 5
  • accredited by a national awarding body that is externally regulated by the qualification regulators (SQA / OFQUAL)

Qualifications that currently meet these requirements are:

  • NVQ in PCV driving
  • NVQ in Driving Goods Vehicles
  • NVQ in Carry and Deliver Goods
  • BTEC in Transporting Passengers by Bus and Coach
  • BTEC in Carry & Deliver Goods

Any qualification which meets these criteria but is not included in the list above should be submitted to DVA for consideration. There are no time restrictions on the qualifications followed within an NVT programme. You may continue to work towards your qualification after the end of the NVT concession period. Please note that if you leave or complete the approved course you will lose your concession rights. It is the responsibility of the employer and the driver to inform DVA if the NVT concession is no longer valid, and to return the NVT concession card.

Registration evidence

You will be issued with an NVT concession card by DVA that confirms you are registered on the NVT scheme. You are legally required to carry this card when working and produce it if required to do so by DVA Enforcement and the Police.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.