Exemptions and Driver CPC fees
There are exemptions for the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive a lorry, bus or coach. Fees are listed below. It is recommended you book your lorry or bus driving theory test online. Book parts three and four by post at any Driver & Vehicle Agency test centre.
There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:
- used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use
- undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service
- used during driving lessons for enabling that person to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
- carrying material or equipment to be used by that person during his or her work, if driving that vehicle does not make up the driver's principal activity*
- with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/ h
- used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order
- used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions
*An example of a driver (also known as 'incidental driver') would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder's yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.
Drivers can move in and out of an exemption, depending on the circumstances in which they are driving. For example, a bus mechanic would be excused while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.
Driver CPC fees
When you book your theory or practical driving test direct with the Driver & Vehicle Agency, you only pay the cost of the test. There is no extra administration or booking fee.
|CPC Practical test (module four)||£55|
|CPC Theory Test (module two)||£23|
|Replace lost, stolen or damaged DQC||£25|
|Request new DQC due to change of personal details||£0|
|Add extra category to DQC||£0|
|Renew the photo on your DQC||£25|