Making a complaint about a taxi service

If you have a problem with a taxi or taxi driver's behaviour, or you believe a vehicle to be unlicensed, report it immediately. If the problem involves a criminal act, report it to the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI). In an emergency, call 999.


If you're unhappy with the fare, quality of vehicle, driving or behaviour of the driver or any other issue, make your complaint to the driver or the taxi operator.

Explain in detail what went wrong, stay calm, and stick to the facts.

A licensed taxi operator has a duty to record any complaints, including keeping details of actions taken following a complaint. 

Note taxi and driver details

Try to note as much information as possible, including:

  • the taxi’s licence plate number
  • the driver’s licence number (normally shown on their badge)
  • time, date and location of the incident

Explain in detail what went wrong, stay calm and stick to the facts.

If you can't get the complaint resolved with the driver or taxi company, it can be reported to the following email address:

Alternatively, you can write to:

Taxi Licensing Section
Driver and Vehicle Agency (PTLD)
County Hall
Castlerock Road
BT51 3HS

The Department for Infrastructure may investigate any complaints received, and licence holders will be expected to co-operate fully in investigations and to supply any information that might reasonably be requested.

Failure to co-operate with investigations may lead to suspension, revocation or curtailment of their licence.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback