Insuring your Housing Executive or housing association home and contents

If your landlord is the Housing Executive or a housing association, they will repair any accidental damage to the structure of your home. You are responsible for interior decoration and insuring your personal belongings or home contents.

Insurance cover

Home insurance policies vary greatly. Any policy you take out for home contents should cover you against fire, flood and theft.

As a Housing Executive or housing association tenant, you may be responsible for damage you have caused to items in your home such as cracking a toilet bowl, wash hand basin or bath.

You should discuss cover for such items with your insurance broker.

If you don't have insurance for your personal property, you risk having to find all the money necessary to repair or replace items that are damaged or stolen.

Contact more than one insurance broker and ask them to quote you rates for insuring your property .

Home contents insurance guide

It is very important to arrange home contents insurance for your belongings.

If the worst happened, you might to replace your TV, computer, sofa and carpet. Even a small flood caused by a faulty washing machine or a burst pipe could cause a lot of damage.

To ask about insuring through a scheme, contact:

You can pay fortnightly, monthly or annually. You don't need for a bank account and can make your own arrangements.

The Consumer Council has a guide to home contents insurance for tenants.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.