Help and support for people living with a dementia
If you have been diagnosed with a dementia, you can get help and support to help you live well with the condition.
When someone gets a diagnosis of a dementia, it's important they look after their health.
By neglecting their general health, the symptoms of dementia could become more pronounced.
If you have a dementia, it's important to look after your:
- eye care
- oral hygiene and care
Further information is available at:
Who can help if you are living with a dementia
If you have been diagnosed with a dementia, there is advice, help and support available.
You can get help from:
- your GP
- local memory service team
- other healthcare professionals
- dementia navigators
- community and voluntary organisations
Further information on the support available from health and social care professionals is available at:
Community and voluntary organisations
Community and voluntary organisations can provide help and support to those affected by a dementia.
This support includes:
- information services and sessions
- carers' training programmes to make sure family and friends know the best ways to support a person with a dementia
- peer support services for people with a dementia and their carers
- providing a voice for those affected by a dementia
- Find support near you
Where to find help and support
You can find more information and support services from the following organisations:
The Public Health Agency has also produced a range of information to help support people with a dementia, their families and friends.
This information includes the following publications:
- Early stages of dementia
- Communicating effectively with a person living with dementia
- Are you worried about dementia
- Dementia and sight loss
Health and Social Care Trusts
Further information on dementia services available in your Health and Care Trusts can be found on the Trusts’ websites at the following links:
- Dementia services - Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Southern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Western Health and Social Care Trust
Dementia apps library
The Apps 4 Dementia library is a digital service which groups together safe, trusted apps to provide information and guidance on the condition.
There a number of apps that offer support, self-care of symptoms and help users to carry on with their day-to-day activities for as long as possible.