Dementia care professionals

If you’ve been diagnosed with a dementia, you’re likely to see a number of health and social care professionals. Some people with dementia find this confusing, but these professionals provide important support.

Different care professionals you will meet

You will see professionals in a range of places, including hospitals and your home. Some will be NHS health professionals, including doctors and nurses. Others will be 'allied’ health professionals, such as dentists.

You might also receive help from social care professionals. These are usually arranged through your local council.


You will receive care from a number of different doctors following a dementia diagnosis, including your own GP and various specialists.

General practitioners (GPs)

Your GP is your first point of contact if you have any concerns about your health. They will lead the team looking after your overall health. Your GP will refer you to any other professionals, such as specialists or nurses. You can see your GP in their surgery, or they might visit your home, if needed.

Your GP can:

  • talk to you about your dementia and any other medical problems
  • carry out a physical examination
  • arrange further tests
  • review any treatments you’re receiving



Consultants are doctors who have had years of training and experience in a specific area. If you need to see a consultant, your GP will arrange this and you’ll see them at a hospital. The consultant you see will depend on your needs, age and the services available in your area.

The consultants you might be referred to include:

  • neurologists – specialists in the brain and nervous system, some neurologists have particular experience of dementia
  • psychiatrists – you might see a psychiatrist to make sure your mental health is cared for – if you’re over 65, you might see a specialist old age psychiatrist
  • geriatricians – specialists in the care of older people and the conditions and disabilities associated with old age
  • clinical psychologists – these are not medical doctors – the assess memory, learning disabilities and other skills, they also offer support coping with any problems you might be experiencing


As well as doctors, you will also receive care from a number of nurses, including:

  • community mental health nurses – provide treatment, care and support for people with mental health problems and dementia, hey do no usually carry out physical nursing tasks
  • district or community nurses – have had extra training in nursing people at home and are based at a GP surgery – they can help you with things like taking medication and dressing wounds
  • practice nurses – carry out a range of activities within a GP practice such as flu jabs and check-ups – the carry out general treatments, run clinics and look after patients with ongoing illnesses

Allied health professionals

You may see other professionals for help with specific areas of physical health.

They might see you in your home, care home or hospital and can include:

  • occupational therapists – can advise you on maintaining skills and living independently for as long as possible, they can also advise you about how technology and home adaptations can help you
  • physiotherapists – can help with exercise and moving around and can advise carers on helping someone stay active safely
  • chiropodists – are trained to look after people’s feet and advise on proper foot care
  • optometrists – problems with sight and can make you more confused, so it’s important to get your eyes checked regularly
  • audiologists – hearing problems can make you more confused, an audiologist can check for hearing problems and fit a hearing aid
  • speech and language therapists – can advise you and your carer on ways of communicating more effectively and on managing any difficulty swallowing
  • music therapists – will engage you in shared musical experiences through singing, listening or making music to help with symptoms of anxiety or restlessness
  • dentists – you should get dental advice soon after a diagnosis as treatment can become more difficult as symptoms progress
  • dieticians – can advise you to eat, tell you about poor appetite, weight loss, weight gain, vitamins and food supplements
  • continence advisors – if you have problems using the toilet, a continence advisor can off helpful advice and give you information on useful equipment such as commodes and incontinence pads

Social care professionals

Social care professionals can help you with personal social care and non-medical support. This could include an assessment by a social worker to provide help and support at home with dressing or bathing, social activities, day care or respite.

Social Worker

A social worker will usually assess your needs and ask about your income and savings. This will help them decide what services you can receive and how much you have to pay towards them.

A social worker will also carry out a carer’s assessment. This enables the unpaid carer to discuss the help they need to support the person with dementia and maintain their own health and wellbeing. This can help the carer find a balance between their caring responsibilities, work and other aspects of their life.

The social worker might also be able to direct you to other organisations which can provide information, help and support.

Social care workers

Social care workers work in different roles as domiciliary care workers I your own home, day care workers or in care homes. They can help you with your personal care as well as your emotional and care needs.

For more information about the services available and how to access social care, you can contact your local Health and Social Care Trust;

Where to find help and support

You can find more information and support services from the following organisations, see also ‘more useful links section’:

The Public Health Agency has also produced a range of information to help support people with a dementia, their families and friends.

This information includes the following publications:

Dementia apps library

The ‘Apps4Dementia’ library is a digital service which groups together safe, trusted apps to provide information and guidance on the condition.

There a number of apps that offer support, self-care of symptoms and enable users to carry on with their day-to-day activities for as long as possible.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.