Find housing support online

Do you need help to live independently because of alcohol or drug problems, because of your age, mental health problems, leaving care or prison - or for another reason?

Help to find a home

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) provides accommodation to single people, lone parents and families. If you want to live in NIHE accommodation, you need to apply to the NIHE.

NIHE also houses people who are coping with or adjusting to difficult circumstances such as addiction, mental health problems, release from prison or homelessness. Find out more:

Housing associations

If you would like to live in social housing provided by a registered housing association, you must apply to the NIHE:

You can learn more about each registered housing association in general by going to 'Northern Ireland Federation of Housing Associations' (NIFHA) website:

NIFHA is the representative body for housing associations in Northern Ireland.

A housing association is an independent, not-for-profit business that provides both homes and support for people in housing need, find out more:

Helping you get on the property ladder

If you hope to own your own home but are unsure if you can afford a full mortgage, 'Co-Ownership' may be able to help you onto the property ladder through shared ownership. Find out more:

Housing advice

If you need free, independent housing advice, go to Housing Advice NI's website:

Mental health organisations that deal with housing

A range of mental health services are available across Northern Ireland. Many offer advice for people feeling distress or despair about housing.

You can find mental health organisations offering advice on housing on the following page.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.