Encouraging wildlife in your garden

Encouraging birds, mammals and insects to visit and live in your garden helps to look after local wildlife, keeps valuable green spaces thriving and can help control garden pests by encouraging natural predators. From large gardens to window boxes, all homes can be made more wildlife friendly.

Creating wildlife shelters

Creating spaces to live and nest in is one way of making animals feel at home in your garden. Here are some simple ideas that can help. You can:

  • leave rotting logs in a corner of your garden can make a home for hedgehogs and insects
  • drill holes in pruned branches and logs to provide insects with shelter and nesting space
  • leave overgrown areas to provide places for animals, such as hedgehogs or foxes, to rest or hibernate
  • use bird and bat boxes

Plant a tree

Trees provide food and shelter for many types of wildlife, from insects to birds and bats. Trees like crab apple, pussy willow and hazel will thrive, even in small gardens. You can even grow a tree in a large container if you don’t have a garden.

Native species like silver birch, hawthorn and yew support a wide range of insects, which in turn provide year-round food for mammals and birds.

Grants may be available for tree planting, depending on whether you are planting a small wood on your land or a few trees in your community or local school. More information can be found through the Woodland Trust.

Plant a hedge

Hedges provide food and nesting places for all sorts of animals and insects, for example:

  • many birds make their nests in hedges
  • hedgehogs may shelter at the bottom of a hedge
  • wood mice may be found further up in the branches

Choose a mixture of native hedge species like holly, blackthorn and guelder rose to attract a wide range of insects. They will then provide food for mammals and birds. You can buy hedge mixes from some garden centres or tree nurseries.

You can also grow violets, wood anemones and celandine at the base of the hedge to attract nectar-loving insects.

Create a pond

Ponds are a magnet for wildlife, attracting frogs, newts, dragonflies and other insects, as well as providing water for birds. If you haven't got much space, you could use an old sink or bath. Garden ponds help to conserve aquatic and amphibian life.


Attract birds to your garden by using feeders and tables. Providing a bird bath can also help as birds need to bathe often to keep their feathers in trim. Be sure to clean and top up the feeding areas regularly.

Plan your plants with wildlife in mind

Choose plants that flower and produce seeds or fruit at different times of the year so that insects, birds and animals can have food in all seasons. For example:

  • sunflower seeds provide food for birds once the flowers have died
  • lavender attracts bees
  • buddleia is great for butterflies and bees
  • moths will come to red valerian, honeysuckle and night-flowering stock
  • native ivy is one of the best wildlife plants of all, benefiting birds, mammals, butterflies, bees, hoverflies and other useful insects  

Report wildlife sightings

In Northern Ireland, the Centre for Environmental Data and Recording (CEDaR) collates wildlife records for both native and non-native species.

You can record your sightings on its website either as a single record event or you can register with them and submit details through a free online account.

Only use pesticides as a last resort

Pesticides can kill or discourage the wildlife you want to attract to your garden, including the predators that eat pests. If you use them, always follow the instructions on the label and dispose of out of date or waste products carefully. Don't pour them down the drain or put them in your household waste bin. Make sure pesticides or other hazardous chemicals from paints and finishes don’t get into ponds, as they can poison water life.

Your council can give you advice on disposing of pesticides that you no longer need.

Control your cat

Give birds a chance by putting several bells on your cat's collar. This should give birds warning of your pet's approach. Multiple bells are best because some cats can learn to move silently with just one bell on their collar.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.