Digital tachograph driver cards

If your digital tachograph card is lost, stolen, damaged or has stopped working report it to the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) immediately and apply for a replacement card within seven days. If your card isn't working properly, you must return it to DVA along with a completed application form.

Replacement of lost, stolen and damaged cards

To apply for a replacement card you need to:

  • complete form D777(NI), ‘Application for a digital tachograph driver card’
  • enclose your card if it is damaged
  • submit your application to DVA along with a fee of £19
  • a new photograph is not required

Alternatively, for lost or stolen cards, provided you do not have any changes to make to your personal details, you can apply by emailing

Payment can be made over the phone using Visa, Mastercard, Maestro or Delta.

*For Northern Ireland residents only. GB residents please contact Swansea on 0300 790 6801 for drivers' enquiries.

Replacement of malfunctioning driver cards

If your card is malfunctioning, you must return it to DVA along with a completed application form. Before applying you should check that it is your card that is not working properly.

You can do this by:

  • referring to your Vehicle Unit (VU) manual in order to check that the code being displayed on the VU relates to a card error
  • trying your card in another VU that you know is working correctly
  • asking a colleague who has a card which is working correctly to test their card in your lorry’s VU

A fee is not normally required. However, if you do not return your malfunctioning card with your application a fee of £19 is required before a replacement can be processed.

Before returning your card to DVA you should attempt to download any data it may contain.

Driving while a replacement card is being processed

You can only drive without a card if the one you previously have been issued with is lost, stolen, damaged or is malfunctioning. You can drive without a driver card for up to 15 calendar days, or longer if it is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises, as long as you can prove that you could not use the card during this period.

During this time you must keep records by taking Vehicle Unit (VU) printouts, sign/ date and print your name on the back of them and retain them for inspection.

If you are stopped by the police or DVA enforcement officers you may be asked to produce these as evidence of the driving you have done.

Replacement driver cards are normally issued within five working days of receiving a valid application.

If you make an application for a replacement and then find the original, you must return it to DVA with a covering letter explaining why it’s being returned. You are not entitled to hold more than one card at a time.

Exchanging your driver card – changing your details

To change the details, for example name/ address on your card, you need to complete form D777(NI), ‘Application for a digital tachograph driver card’.

A new photograph or a fee is not required.

You do not need to send your driver card at this point.

Exchanging your EEA driver card

To exchange your EEA driver card for a NI driver card you need to send:

  • a completed form D777(NI), ‘Application for a digital tachograph driver card’
  • one recent, certified colour photograph
  • proof of residency (dated within the last three months)
  • an EEC passport/ID Card
  • a current driving licence
  • a completed D9 form to register your EEC driving licence
  • a £38 cheque/ postal order

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.