Choosing energy efficient products

Energy saving products use less energy and cost less to run. Products which carry the energy saving logo all meet strict energy efficiency criteria set by the Energy Saving Trust and are backed by the Government. Using energy-saving light bulbs is another great way to cut down your energy usage.

Energy saving appliances

When choosing energy efficient appliances for your home, look out for the energy ratings label and think about the size of the appliance that you need.

Energy labels rate products from A to G in terms of energy use, with A being the most efficient and G being the least efficient.

New energy label

A new energy label will appear in high street and online shops from March 2021 and will feature a new, simpler range: A to G.

Energy saving light bulbs

One of the ways you can save energy in your home is to use energy saving light bulbs. These can last up to 10 times longer than traditional bulbs and can save you money on your electricity bills.

Disadvantages of traditional light bulbs

Traditional light bulbs are very inefficient at converting electricity to light, as they waste 95 per cent of the electricity they use in creating heat.

This wasted energy adds to your carbon footprint. That means that reducing the energy you use to light your home will not only save you money but also help save the planet.

To help reduce the UK’s carbon emissions, traditional light bulbs are gradually being withdrawn from sale.

Types of energy saving light bulbs

There are two main types of energy efficient light bulbs available in the UK. Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs).

CFLs are a cost-effective option for most general lighting requirements. Replacing a traditional light bulb with a CFL of the same brightness will save you about £3.00 per year, or £45.00 over the lifetime of the bulb.

LEDs are available to fit both types of fittings and are particularly good for replacing spotlights and dimmable lights. Though more expensive to buy at first, they are more efficient than CFLs and will save you more money in the long term. By replacing all halogen downlighters in your home with LED alternatives, you could save about £40 a year on your electricity bills.

How to recycle energy saving light bulbs

Energy saving light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury – just enough to cover the tip of a ballpoint pen. You must, therefore, be careful of how you recycle/dispose of CFL bulbs. You should not throw them into your normal rubbish or household recycling bins as these bulbs are classified as hazardous waste.

In most parts of Northern Ireland, CFL bulbs can be recycled at your local household waste recycling centre. You can find your nearest recycling centre by contacting your local council:

How to deal with a broken CFL bulb

When a bulb does break, although it is unlikely to cause any health problems, it is always best to minimise exposure to mercury, as well as the risk of cuts from glass fragments.

If you break a CFL bulb at home, the best thing to do is:

  • ventilate and vacate the room for at least 15 minutes
  • using rubber gloves to protect your hands, carefully gather up the broken pieces and place in a plastic bag
  • gently sweep up all the fragments/particles with a damp cloth (not a brush or vacuum cleaner) and place in the plastic bag
  • wipe the area with a damp cloth afterwards and then add that cloth to the plastic bag and seal
  • you must not throw the bag in your normal household rubbish - take it to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre and place in the correct recycling container

Energy saving light bulbs and safety

All energy saving bulbs are safe to be used in the home. However, some people may be affected by the ultra violet (UV) light the bulbs give off if they use these lights:

  • at close range
  • for over an hour at a time

People with some types of light sensitive conditions can also be affected by CFLs.

How to choose the right strength and colour light bulb

Choosing the right kind of light bulb will depend on what strength and type of light you want.

Light bulb strength

The strength of traditional (incandescent) light bulbs used to be measured in wattage, but wattage is not as relevant as light bulbs become more energy efficient. Wattage is still included on packaging for easy comparison, but it is being phased out and replaced with the number of lumens. A lumen is a measure of light; a higher number means a brighter light.

The lumen equivalents of incandescent bulbs are:

  • 100W incandescent bulb = 1,300-1,400 lumens
  • 75W incandescent bulb =920-970 lumens
  • 60W incandescent bulb = 700-750 lumens
  • 40W incandescent bulb = 410-430 lumens
  • 25W incandescent bulb = 220-230 lumens

Light bulb colour

Different light colours can be used for different things. For example, you might prefer a ‘warm white’ light for relaxing and a more powerful ‘cold white’ light for work spaces. These light qualities are measured in Kelvins and can be found on light bulb packaging.

For softer, warmer lighting, look for a 2,700K light bulb. For work spaces, a colder, brighter 4,000k would be better.

How long will a CFL light bulb last

The lifetime of a light bulb means the number of hours most light bulbs of that type will work before dying. Light bulbs that are on all the time will die faster than those used less often.

The lifetime also depends on the number of times a light is switched on and off. Standard CFLs can last for up to 3,000-6,000 on/off switches. They should ideally not be used when lights are switched on and off a lot, as this will affect the lifetime of the bulb. There are CFLs that can last up to one million switches that should be used in these cases.

Other light bulbs are not affected by the number of times they are switched on and off.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.