Career planning for young people with special educational needs

If your child has a learning or physical disability, a careers adviser can help you and your child plan for the future. They can explain options and support available in education, training and employment.

Career planning at your child's school

On or just after your child’s 14th birthday, their school will hold a transition plan meeting. This meeting is the first step to plan and prepare for your child’s future. Planning and preparation can help your child move successfully into further education, training or employment.

How a careers adviser can help

To help you and your child make the best choices, a careers adviser also takes part in this process and at any reviews afterwards. They can also give more information, advice and guidance when your child leaves school.

You can speak to your child’s careers adviser by contacting your local careers office. The special education needs co-ordinator or careers teacher will also be able to give advice at this important stage.  

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.