Complete angling catch return
Rod licence holders are legally required to make a catch return for salmon and sea trout. Catch returns for both game and coarse fish, help to manage fish stocks and monitor fish health in local rivers and lakes. Your catch and release information helps with ongoing research into salmon stocks.
Before you start
Even if you have not caught any fish, you should make a nil catch return, including the date of fishing and location as this information is equally important for rivers, loughs and lakes.
In order to complete a catch return below you will need your date of birth and your seven digit licence, endorsement or permit number.
When you complete your angling catch return online, you will be entered into a draw for the chance to win a DAERA rod licence and permit. See terms and conditions below.
If you have not fished at all this year, you do not need to complete a catch return.
Anglers who have bought a Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) rod licence to fish for salmon and sea trout are legally required to advise DAERA of any catches made throughout the year and how many occasions they fished, even if no fish were caught.
All anglers, game and coarse are encouraged to send in a catch return to DAERA.
If you prefer to post the angling catch return form to DAERA Inland Fisheries, please complete the form which can be found at the link below:
DAERA online catch return competition - terms and conditions
- entry is open to all 2017 Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) rod licence holders, who have completed a catch return online, except employees of DAERA Inland Fisheries
- only one entry per angler will be eligible
- no responsibility can be accepted for entries lost, delayed or corrupted due to computer error in transit
- the prize is one 2018 season rod licence and one permit (relevant types to suit winner) which are not transferable to another individual
- if an angler has already purchased their 2018 rod licence and permit a reimbursement of fee previously paid will be offered
- the winner will be drawn at random from all correct entries received by 5.00 pm on 20 February 2018
- the winner will be announced on 28 February 2018 and their name published on nidirect
- reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner - if the winner cannot be contacted, or is unable to meet these terms and conditions, DAERA reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrant drawn at random
- the winner of the competition will be notified in writing or by email
- failure to respond or failure to meet the eligibility requirements may result in forfeiture of the prize
Everything you need to go fishing
- Angling - includes where to fish, latest news, fish stocking archive and more
In this section
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback