Book, change or cancel your theory test online
The quickest and easiest way to book your official DVA car, motorcycle, lorry or bus driving theory test is online. When you book using this service, you only pay the cost of the test – there’s no extra booking fee.
Before you start
COVID-19 update: theory tests suspended
The Theory Test provider, Pearson Vue has closed its centres across the UK due to the unfolding coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and driver theory tests have been suspended from Friday 20 March 2020 until further notice. They will be in contact with customers regarding their appointment.
This measure has been taken following the Government’s decision to introduce measures to delay the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) based on advice from the public health authorities. The suspension covers all test categories.
You will be automatically refunded for your test. You’ll get an email to confirm this has been done – it could take a few weeks to arrive.
Further information will be available in due course. You should not try to rebook your test right now. You will receive an e-mail when bookings are open again, as this situation will be kept under review.
Book an emergency test if you’re a critical worker
You can still get an emergency test while tests are suspended if your work is critical to the COVID-19 response, or you work in a critical sector. These include:
- health and social care
- education and childcare
- key public services
- local and national government
- food and other necessary goods
- public safety and national security
- utilities, communication and financial services
To book an emergency theory test
Email DVA to ask for an emergency theory test. You must send a photo or scanned image of valid ID such as your work ID badge.
If you do not have an ID badge you can send:
- an email from a work email address
- evidence from your employer, such as email or scanned document including company letterhead
- a scan of your payslip
This is not an exhaustive list and evidence will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
You also need to tell us:
- your telephone number and preferred contact time
- which test centre you want to take your test at, theory test locations available may be limited, so be prepared to travel
- the type of theory test you would like to take (car, car and trailer, motorcycle, lorry, bus or coach)
- your driving licence number
Emergency theory tests
If you meet the critical worker criteria, DVA will contact you to explain what happens next. Do not resend your request if you’ve already sent an email. DVA will contact you as soon as they can.
You will need:
- a valid UK driving licence with a Northern Ireland address
- a valid debit or credit card for payment (Visa, Mastercard, Delta, Visa Electron and Switch cards are accepted) - theory test fees
- a valid email address to receive a booking confirmation (optional - if you do not have an email address, your booking confirmation will be sent to you by post)
DVA is unable to accept Maestro card payments online. You can use another card to book online or, if you wish to book using a Maestro card, you can telephone the booking line.
You can find out how any personal information you send to the Department for Infrastructure (Driver and Vehicle Agency) when using this service will be handled by viewing their privacy notice