Be aware of cancer signs and symptoms
Date published: 02 February 2018
It's important to be cancer aware, to know what signs and symptoms to look out for and to get yourself checked if you notice anything which could point towards the disease. Speak to your GP if you experience any symptoms.
Vital to detect cancer early
Detecting cancer early increases the chances of successful treatment.
With advances in treatment and care over recent years, there is often a lot that can be done to tackle cancer when it appears.
But fear of what the doctor might find or feeling embarrassment about symptoms causes some people to put off getting checked.
Set these concerns aside and speak to your GP if you have any signs or symptoms.
Signs and symptoms
Some of the common signs and symptoms you should ask your doctor to check out include:
- coughing up blood or blood-stained phlegm (sputum)
- blood in urine
- blood mixed through a bowel motion
- a change in bowel habit that lasts for more than six weeks
- starting to bleed again after the menopause
- unexplained, significant weight loss (5kg/ 10lbs over a couple of months)
- a lump anywhere on your body
- changes on your skin or to an existing mole (such as itching, bleeding or a change in shape or colour)
- a sore that doesn’t heal
- symptoms that refuse to clear up, for example a cough or hoarseness that lasts for more than three weeks
- mouth ulcers that have not healed after three weeks
- food regularly seeming to stick on the way down when you swallow
You can find out more, including what to do if you’re concerned, at the following links:
Reducing the risk
There are many things that you can do to reduce the risk, such as:
- if you smoke, stop
- keep the amount of alcohol you drink within safe limits
- take regular exercise and aim to keep your weight within the recommended BMI range
- avoid getting sunburn – use sunscreen and a hat and don’t use sunbeds
As well as being aware of signs and symptoms at all times, you should go for cancer screening if you are invited.
More useful links
- Stay safe when mixing slurry 16 February 2018
- Ice weather warning - information and advice 14 February 2018
- Check for hallmark before buying precious metal jewellery 13 February 2018
- Heavy rain warning - flooding advice and information 10 February 2018
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback