Animal welfare - local councils

Contact your local council if you are concerned about the welfare of domestic pets, including horses, and non-farmed animals.

Belfast City Council

Eastern region

This region covers Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council; and Ards and North Down District Council.

Northern region

This region covers Mid and East Antrim District Council; Causeway Coast and Glens District Council; and Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council.

Southern region

This region covers Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council; and Newry, Mourne and Down District Council.

Western region

This region covers Fermanagh and Omagh District Council; Derry City and Strabane District Council; and Mid Ulster District Council.

Office hours and emergencies

Note that all emails sent to the above email addresses will only be responded to during office hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (excluding public and bank holidays).

For emergency welfare cases out-of-hours, call the numbers above and you will be directed to the out-of-hours service.

Farmed animals

If you are concerned about the welfare of farmed animals or animals kept in riding establishments, boarding kennels, pet shops or zoos, contact the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs.

If it is  an emergency outside normal office hours contact, your local vet or the PSNI:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.