Tapeworms are flat, ribbon-like worms that can live in your gut if you swallow their eggs or small, newly hatched worms. Tapeworm infections are rare in Northern Ireland, but are fairly common in other parts of the world.

Symptoms of a tapeworm infection

Tapeworms usually cause few or no symptoms. Many can be easily treated. But very occasionally, the worms can spread to other parts of the body and cause serious problems.

You may only find out you have one if you spot a bit of worm in your poo.

Worms in your poo

Bits of tapeworm found in poo are often:

  • flat and rectangular
  • white or pale yellow
  • the size of a grain of rice – but sometimes they're joined together in a long chain

A tape worm set against a black background
An adult tape worm, (4 metres long) removed from a gut

The pieces of worm may move about.

If you see tiny white worms that look like pieces of thread, they're probably threadworms. These are more common in Northern Ireland, particularly in children.

Other symptoms

Tapeworms can also sometimes cause other symptoms, such as:

More serious symptoms can appear if worms get into other parts of the body, such as the brain or liver.

When to see your GP

You should see your GP if:

  • you see any worms or bits of worm in your or your child's poo
  • you have any worrying symptoms that don't go away, such as tummy pain, diarrhoea, or weight loss

If you see a worm in your poo, it can help to put the poo in a clean container and take it to your GP. They can send it to a laboratory to find out what it is.

If you don't have a sample to bring in, your doctor may give you a container and ask you collect one when you next do a poo. They may also look for eggs or small worms around your bottom.

As tapeworms are rare in Northern Ireland, your GP may refer you to a specialist for further tests and treatment if they think you might have one but can’t be sure from testing; or think it might possibly be something else.

Treatment for a tapeworm infection

A tapeworm infection can usually be treated with a single tablet of a prescription medicine.  This kills the worm so it passes out in your poo. Your GP will discuss which treatment options with you.

In the weeks after taking the tablet, make sure you wash your hands regularly – particularly before eating and after using the toilet.

This will stop any eggs getting into your mouth and infecting you again.

A sample of your poo will be checked after a few months to see if the treatment has worked.

Even if you've passed a large piece of worm, this doesn't always mean it's gone completely. It could regrow if some of it is left in your gut.

How you get tapeworms

You can get a tapeworm infection if their eggs or small newly hatched worms (larvae) get in your mouth.

There are several ways this can happen, including:

  • eating raw or undercooked beef, pork, or freshwater fish (like salmon or trout) – these can contain live tapeworm larvae if they're not cooked thoroughly
  • drinking water or eating food that contains or has been in contact with bits of poo of an infected person or animal
  • close contact with someone who has a tapeworm – they may pass out eggs in their poo, which can get on clothing, surfaces, and food

Tapeworms are found throughout the world, including in Northern Ireland. . But you're more likely to get them in places with poor sanitation and less strict food hygiene standards.

Preventing tapeworm infections

To help reduce your chances of getting a tapeworm:

  • don't eat raw or undercooked pork, beef, or freshwater fish
  • cook meat and fish thoroughly and all the way through – don't allow raw meat or fish to touch cooked meat or fish
  • wash vegetables and fruit before you eat them
  • wash your hands with soap and water before handling food, before eating, after using the toilet, and after close contact with animals
  • when travelling abroad, only drink water you know is clean – read more advice about food and water safety abroad

Take extra care if you work or live closely with animals or are staying in a part of the world where tapeworm infections are common.

Complications of tapeworm infections

In rare cases, tapeworms can cause serious problems if newly hatched worms get from the gut into other organs, such as the brain or liver.

The worms can form sacs called cysts, which can stop the affected organ working properly.

This can only occur if you swallow the eggs of a type of tapeworm found in pigs. This can happen if tiny bits of poo of someone with this tapeworm get into your mouth. It can't happen from eating pork.

Depending on where they form, the cysts can cause problems such as:

Cysts can be difficult to treat. Treatment may involve a long course of anti-worm medicine and possibly surgery to remove the cysts.

Dog tapeworms (hydatid disease)

In some parts of the world (and rarely in Northern Ireland), a type of tapeworm found in dogs can spread to people. This is called hydatid disease.

Infections with these tapeworms can be serious and difficult to treat. But simple precautions like getting your dog dewormed regularly and not feeding them raw meat can help you avoid it.

The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email LPSCustomerTeam@lpsni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.