Neuroendocrine tumours and carcinoid syndrome

Neuroendocrine tumours (NETs) are rare tumours of the neuroendocrine system. It’s the system in the body that produces hormones. Carcinoid syndrome is the collection of symptoms some people get when a neuroendocrine tumour, usually one that has spread to the liver, releases hormones such as serotonin into the bloodstream.

About neuroendocrine tumours (NETs)

Neuroendocrine tumours (NETs) can be cancerous or non-cancerous. The tumour usually grows in the bowels or appendix. But the tumour can also be found in the stomach, pancreas, lung, breast, kidney, ovaries or testicles. It tends to grow very slowly.

Neuroendocrine tumours are sometimes called carcinoid tumours. This is particularly when they affect the small bowel, large bowel or appendix.

About 2,900 people are diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour each year in the UK.  Not everyone with a tumour will have carcinoid syndrome.

Cancer Research UK has more information about different types of neuroendocrine tumours.

Signs and symptoms

In the early stages of having a neuroendocrine tumour, you may not have any symptoms.

You may also not have symptoms if the tumour is just in your digestive system, as any hormones it produces will be broken down by your liver.

If symptoms do develop, they tend to be fairly general. They can be easily mistaken for signs of other illnesses.

Symptoms may result from both the tumour itself and from any hormones it releases into the bloodstream.

Symptoms caused by the tumour

Symptoms will depend on where in the body the tumour develops:

Some tumours may not cause any symptoms and are found by chance.

For example, a tumour in the appendix may only be found when the appendix is being removed for another reason.

Symptoms caused by the hormones (carcinoid syndrome)

Typical symptoms of carcinoid syndrome include:

  • diarrhoea, tummy pain and loss of appetite
  • flushing of the skin, particularly the face
  • fast heart rate
  • breathlessness and wheezing

These symptoms may come on unexpectedly, as the hormones can be produced by the tumour at any time.

Some people may also develop carcinoid heart disease. This is when the heart valves thicken and stop working properly.

There's also a risk of developing a rare but serious reaction called a carcinoid crisis. This involves severe flushing, breathlessness and a drop in blood pressure.

Causes of neuroendocrine tumours

It's not known exactly why neuroendocrine tumours develop, but it's thought that most occur by chance.

Your chances of developing a neuroendocrine tumour may be increased if you have:

  • a rare family syndrome called multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1)
  • parents or siblings (brothers or sisters) with a carcinoid tumour
  • parents with non-Hodgkin lymphoma or cancer of the brain, breast, liver, bladder or endocrine system
  • conditions called neurofibromatosis or tuberous sclerosis

You can read more about the risks and causes of neuroendocrine tumours on the Cancer Research UK website.

Diagnosing neuroendocrine tumours

A neuroendocrine tumour may be found by chance– for example, as a surgeon is removing an appendix.

In this case, the tumour will often be caught early and removed along with the appendix, causing no further problems.

Otherwise, people usually see their GP after they have developed symptoms.

A neuroendocrine tumour may be diagnosed after carrying out a series of scans and tests, which may include measuring the amount of serotonin in your urine and having an endoscopy.

Treating neuroendocrine tumours and carcinoid syndrome

If the tumour is caught early, it may be possible to completely remove it and cure the cancer altogether.

Otherwise, surgeons will remove as much of the tumour as possible

You can read more about the surgery for neuroendocrine tumours on the Cancer Research UK website.

If the tumour can't be removed, but it's not growing or causing symptoms, you may not need treatment straight away – it might just be carefully monitored. 

Things you can do to help yourself

There are things you can do yourself to manage some of the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome.

Generally, you should avoid triggers of flushing, such as:

  • alcohol
  • large meals
  • spicy foods
  • foods containing the substance tyramine, such as aged cheese and salted or pickled meats
  • stress

Some medications, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants, may make symptoms worse by further increasing your levels of serotonin.

But never stop taking medication without seeking medical advice.

If you have diarrhoea, it's important to keep drinking little and often to avoid dehydration.


If the whole tumour can be removed, this may cure the cancer and symptoms altogether.

But even if surgeons can't remove the entire tumour, it usually grows slowly and can be controlled with medication.

Overall, people with neuroendocrine tumours have a good life expectancy compared with many other cancers. Many people remain relatively well and lead active lives, with only occasional symptoms.

But as the tumour grows or spreads, it will produce more and more hormones, and it may eventually be difficult to completely control symptoms with medication. You may need further surgery or other treatments.

Unfortunately, life expectancy isn't as good for a cancerous tumour that's spread to other parts of your body because it won't usually be possible to remove all of it. But treatment can still control your symptoms and slow down the spread of cancer.

You can read more about the survival statistics for neuroendocrine tumours on the Cancer Research UK website.

The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.