Work in Europe

Jobseekers from the European Economic Area (EEA) member states have the right to live, work and study in any other member state without restriction.

Find a job in Europe

The European job mobility portal website has information on the labour market, living and working conditions and free movement in the country you select.

While Switzerland is not in the EEA, Swiss nationals have the same rights as EEA nationals.

European Employment Services (EURES)

If you are looking for work in Europe, European Employment Services (EURES) advisers may be able to help. A team of experienced EURES NI advisers can discuss your needs and tailor a level of service to meet your requirements.

EURES advisers can offer:

  • information on selected European cross-border and International vacancies
  • advice and guidance to help you look for a job in another country
  • advice on the possibilities that exist for finding work in another country
  • advice on living and working conditions in all member states of the EEA
  • comparison information on your specific qualifications
  • information on Your First Eures Job (YFEJ) with possible help with relocation costs to live and work in another European country, if you're aged between 18-35 (criteria applies)

Contact details for EURES Northern Ireland are available below, or you can also contact the EURES Liaison Officer in your local Jobs & Benefits office.

Find a job in the Republic of Ireland

If you're looking for work in the Republic of Ireland (RoI), the EURES Cross-Border Partnership can offer you advice and guidance to help you overcome some of the obstacles to cross-border working and recruitment.

It give information on matters such as job vacancies, training opportunities, social security entitlement, taxation, comparability of qualifications and employment rights.

EURES Cross-Border Partnership covers Northern Ireland and the six border counties: Louth, Cavan, Monaghan, Sligo, Donegal and Leitrim.

For more information, visit the Eures cross-border website or contact the European Employment Services.

Importing and exporting your unemployment benefit

You can export your contribution based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), for a maximum of three months, while you look for work in another EEA member state.

Likewise, if you are an EU/ EEA national you can import your unemployment benefit or equivalent providing you satisfy certain conditions in your home country.

If you are entitled to import benefit, your home country will issue to you form PD U2 or E303 confirming entitlement.

For advice and information on importing/ exporting your unemployment benefits, contact your local Jobs and Benefits office.

Dual registration

If you are an EU/EEA national claiming contribution-based Job Seekers Allowance in the UK and you have come from an EEA member state where you were previously working, you can also register for job-seeking activities in that member state to progress your search for work.

Likewise if you have been working in the UK and you go to an EEA member state to register and look for work, you can also register for job-seeking activities in the UK.

For advice and information on importing/exporting your unemployment benefit and dual registration contact your local Jobs and Benefits office.

Living and working in Northern Ireland

Information for migrant workers and EEA nationals from outside the UK is available at the link below.

More useful links


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.