Support for special educational needs

You have a vital role in supporting your child's education. Your views should be taken into account and the wishes of your child listened to. There are also a number of groups and organisations who can provide you with advice about special educational needs.

Getting extra help

If you are not happy with what is being done for your child, first talk to the school. There can be misunderstandings so you should work as closely as you can with your child's school.

Resolving disagreements

If you are still unhappy with the help for your child after talking to the school, there are informal ways to deal with the situation. You can find out more about these from the Education Authority (EA) in your region. Using the service does not affect your right to make a formal appeal to a tribunal.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal

You may also be able to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. This is an independent body that hears appeals against decisions made by local authorities on special educational needs assessments and statements.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback