Sexual violence: other help available

Rape or sexual assault is a crime and is wrong. If you or someone you know is a victim of rape or sexual assault there is help available.

Reporting to the police

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, you should report the crime to the police as soon as possible.

You will be dealt with sensitively by specialist officers. They will be experienced in dealing with victims of sexual assaults and will understand the distress and fear you may be feeling.

You may be asked to give the police the items of clothing you were wearing when you were attacked, because they may contain traces of evidence that can identify the person who attacked you.

The police will also arrange for you to have a medical examination. The doctor may treat any of your injuries (depending on their seriousness, or could refer you for specialist medical treatment) and also gather any evidence that may help the police with their investigation. The doctor will talk to you about the examination beforehand, so you understand what they're doing and why they're doing it.

The police will want to talk to you again as they investigate the crime. They will keep you updated with any developments in the investigation.

Supporting organisations

24-hour domestic and sexual violence helpline


  • Belfast 028 9032 6803
  • Londonderry 028 7126 0566
  • Portadown 028 3835 0588)
  • email:

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children

  • Childline 0800 1111

Women's Aid

  • Women’s Aid Federation Northern Ireland
  • 0800 917 1414

Rainbow Project

  • Belfast 028 9031 9030
  • Londonderry 028 7128 3030

Men's Advisory Project

  • 028 9024 1929

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback