Setting rents for Housing Executive and housing association properties

Find out how rents are set for Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) and housing association accommodation. This includes notice you will get of any raises, communal service charges and support costs.

How your rent is set 

The Housing Executive is responsible for setting the level of rent that it charges its tenants and housing associations set their own rent levels.

Housing associations and the Housing Executive usually charge similar levels of rent for properties of a similar size, condition and location, however the rents of housing association properties built after 1992 are higher than Housing Executive properties of similar age.

Domestic rates and service charges are charged to tenants in addition to the rent. The Housing Executive or housing association will let you know of any additional charges when you sign your tenancy agreement.

If you commenced your tenancy with the registered housing association before 16 September 1992 your rent is calculated on a points system determined and is in line with rents charged by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

Increased rent - notice you get

Annual rent increases are calculated by multiplying the number of points allocated to your dwelling by the value of the new rent point.

The association must give you at least four weeks notice in writing before charging you the increased rent.

If you commenced your tenancy with the registered housing association on or after 16 September 1992 your rent is set by the association.

Different housing associations have different rent-setting policies and you should contact your association for details of its policy.

Communal service charges

Communal service charges may include charges for heating, lighting, cooking and hot water depending on the type and location of housing.

In communal accommodation such as sheltered housing, the total charges for these services are usually divided between all the residents.

Instead of receiving separate bills for these services the cost will generally be itemised separately in your regular rent bill.

You should contact your housing association for information on its service charges.

Support costs

If you live in a sheltered housing scheme a support cost may be charged to you for any support services it provides to you. These services include:

  • scheme co-ordinator salary and accommodation costs
  • scheme co-ordinator business telephone costs
  • warden call system

Please use the following link for more information on supporting people:

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback