Renewable Heat Incentive for domestic customers

The domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme was suspended on 29 February 2016.

Domestic RHI payments

Domestic RHI payments have two elements - an upfront payment paid when you are accepted into the scheme and an ongoing incentive payment paid annually. The upfront payment is a set amount based on your technology and the ongoing payment varies depending on your heat requirements and use.

For most scheme members, payments are made on an estimation of your heating system’s annual heat use.

For biomass and heat pump systems, the heat load figure on your EPC is used.

For solar thermal, a figure calculated from information on your MCS certificate is used.

Some people (for instance those with rented properties or those with a back-up heating system such as an oil boiler, or with a property which is a second home) will have to install meters and send regular readings.

Upfront payments

Type of heating Payment
Biomass £2,500
Air source heat pump £1,700
Ground source heat pump £3,500
Solar thermal £320

If you have already received support under the Renewable Heat Premium Payment, you will receive the ongoing payment only.

Ongoing payments

The ongoing payments are calculated by multiplying a tariff with the heat demand or use in your home.

Tariff rates 2019 to 2020  in pence per kilo watt hour (p/kWh) are as follows:

Technology Tariff (rounded to two decimal places)
Biomass 6.31 p/kWh
Air source heat pump 3.94 p/kWh
Ground source heat pump 9.24 p/kWh
Solar thermal 15.21 p/kWh

Tariffs are reviewed annually according to the Retail Price Index.

Calculating payments

Solar thermal

Annual incentive payments are calculated using the estimated annual generation figure shown on the MSC certificate. The estimated annual generation figure will have been calculated by your MSC installer.

Annual payment = estimated annual generation figure X tariff

Biomass, air source heat pumps and ground source heat pumps

Biomass annual incentive payments are calculated using the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) provided for the property. Air source heat pump and ground source heat pump annual incentive payments are calculated using the EPC and the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certificate for the property.

The EPC data provides an estimate of a property's heat requirements should all reasonable energy efficiency measures be carried out. This figure is used, rather than actual or current heat demand, to encourage home owners to become more efficient.

The MCS provides the Seasonal Performance Factor (SPF) for the property. Where the SPF is not detailed, the default minimum of 2.5 is used.

Annual payment = potential annual heat demand X tariff

Payments for installations that are metered

Where a property has required metering, the payments will be made based on the heat meter readings but capped at the 'deemed level' or £2,500 per year; whichever is less. The ‘deemed level’ is the RHI annual payment, calculated using the potential yearly heating and hot water costs from your EPC.

Cap on payments

No property will receive more than £2,500 per year for the ongoing incentive payments.

Your responsibilities

The scheme is run by the Department for the Economy. You have to agree to keep to the scheme rules. These include:

  • keeping the heating system and metering equipment (if you have it) in good working order
  • telling the Department for the Economy if the equipment breaks down and isn’t working while you’re waiting for repairs
  • telling the Department for the Economy if you sell your house (with the heating system in it), in which case, payments to you will stop and switch to the new owner if they apply to the scheme and satisfy certain other conditions
  • telling the Department for the Economy if you make any changes to your heating system, for example if you replace part of it
  • telling the Department for the Economy if there are changes that mean your property needs to be metered, for example, if you buy a second home
  • telling the Department for the Economy if there is any change in circumstances that may affect your eligibility to receive payments

Audit checks

Every year you will have to complete a declaration confirming that you’ve kept to the rules. These will be audited.


Most people who have joined the Northern Ireland Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive won’t need to install meters to receive payments. However, if you don’t live in your property permanently, if you have back-up heating systems, or if you have a heating system that doesn’t supply the entire property, you will.

Will you need metering

Your installer must fulfil a number of detailed requirements. They should know a lot about metering already, but make sure they are aware of MCS requirements and that they provide you with a metering handover pack.

Solar thermal for heating domestic hot water never has to be metered. 

Why most RHI installations won’t need metering

Most people joining the scheme live in the same home all year round and have one renewable heating system that supplies the whole property. Payments will be based on the property’s estimated annual heat use. It’s straightforward and makes the scheme more efficient.

For biomass, this figure will come from your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). It’s the same for heat pumps, although the pump’s design efficiency (Seasonal Performance Factor) is factored in to calculate payments. For solar thermal, the figure will come from the MCS certificate, which is based on a calculation by your installer.

Why some do need metering

Some people won’t live in their properties permanently. Others have back-up heating systems installed. Some have a heating system that doesn’t supply the entire property.

In these cases and some others, the equipment is likely to be generating less heat than specified on the EPC. It means these properties will have to be metered and you will need to send regular readings so payments can be allocated appropriately.

What does need metering

You need metering if you have back-up heating

Your system must be metered if:

Back-up heating that doesn’t count

You don’t need metering if your back-up heating is only designed and installed to heat a single room, such as an open fire or a plug-in electric heater. In the same way, immersion heaters and extra electric heaters (that some heat pumps have) don’t count. There are some other exemptions.

You need metering if your home is only partly occupied

Homes that are occupied for less than half the year must be metered.

You need metering if the property is the subject of a tenancy agreement

Where the heating system is installed in a domestic property which is rented under a tenancy agreement, it will need to be metered. Rented homes, whilst occupied for the majority of the year, may be empty for large periods of time (for example, student accommodation). Therefore, the deeming methodology (estimation of the heating system's annual heat use) may not be the best option.

You need metering if your biomass boiler or stove doesn’t heat your entire property

If your biomass boiler is not sized to meet all of your heating needs, then you will not get the same amount as if it did and your heating system must be metered. Check with your installer to see if this applies to you.

What your installer should do

  • tell you if metering is required
  • label the meter clearly (there could be more than one meter and more than one type – heat, electricity, gas or oil) and teach you how to take meter readings
  • take the initial reading which you can submit if you apply to the scheme within two weeks, if not you’ll have to take a new reading and submit it when you apply - after that you’ll submit readings quarterly
  • your installer will be responsible for providing the answers to the metering questions that you submit as part of your application - they’ll complete a paper copy of these and hand it to you when they design your renewable heating system
  • Installer search on the MCS website

Withdrawing from the scheme

If you no longer want to take part in the Domestic RHI Scheme, you can ask to withdraw.

In order to withdraw from the scheme you should first tell the Department for the Economy (DFE) by completing the form at the link below:

Based on the information in the form, DFE will decide whether a site inspection is needed. If an inspection is needed, DFE will arrange a suitable date and time with you.

DFE will also work out if your RHI payments have been overpaid or underpaid. If there has been an overpayment made to you, DFE will write to you advising of the amount and how you can make a repayment. Overpayments must be repaid. If you have been underpaid, DFE will tell you how much you are owed and arrange payment.

Once your withdrawal has been approved:

  • you will no longer be able to make a claim to any past or future Domestic RHI payments which would otherwise have been due under the Domestic RHI Scheme
  • the renewable technology installed at your property will no longer be accredited on the Domestic RHI Scheme
  • as the renewable technology is no longer accredited, a transfer of ownership cannot take place
  • you are no longer bound by the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2014

Privacy and use of your information

You can find out how any personal information you have submitted to the Department for the Economy regarding the Domestic RHI Scheme will be handled by viewing the privacy notice at the link below:


For all general queries about the Northern Ireland domestic RHI scheme, contact the Department for the Economy:

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.