Moving to your new home

There is so much to organise when packing to move that important things are often over-looked. Use a checklist to make sure you've got everything covered.

When to tell people you're moving

It's best not to tell anyone of your address change until the contracts have been exchanged. If the sale falls through, you will need to contact everyone again.

When the contract has been exchanged, you will need to tell many organisations of your new address, for example gas, electric and telephone companies and government offices.

Rates on the property you're leaving

Contact LPS to let them know the date you move out of your current property and when you buy your new one so they can bill you correctly.

Telling your benefit provider about moving 

If you receive social security benefits and change your address, tell your local Jobs and Benefits office.

Registering as a patient for health services

If you move to a new area, you may need to register with a new GP or dentist. 

Redirecting your post to your new address

You can download a form from the Post Office website. They can take ten days to set up the redirection. You need to pay for the redirection service.

Electricity and gas bills

You need to tell them at least 48 hours before you are moving. Pass on the details of your current supplier to the people moving in. On your moving day you will need to read the meters in both properties so the right bills can be issued.

When you move in to your new home, contact the utilities and register as a new customer.

Updating your driving licence

You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) immediately when you change your name, address or both.

Updating your vehicle registration 

You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) if the name and address information is incorrect on the vehicle registration certificate. The certificate is also known as the vehicle log book.

Electoral register

You need to be on the electoral register if you want to vote. The register is updated every month. it to vote. You can download a registration form or get one at your local electoral office.

Television, internet and telephone

Your television licence will need to be transferred to your new address. You can do this by telephone:

  • 0300 790 6065

You can also do it online:

You’ll also need to contact your:

  • internet service provider
  • digital/cable/satellite TV supplier
  • landline and mobile phone provider

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

If you’re VAT-registered, use the online form to change your details:

You should contact HMRC to update their records for:

  • Income Tax (PAYE and Self Assessment)
  • National Insurance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Trust Fund (you’ll also need to update your account provider)
  • Tax credits

You need to contact HMRC even if you pay tax through PAYE and have already told your employer or pension provider.

HMRC email service

You can send one email to HMRC your records except tax credits and Child Benefit. HMRC will also tell:

  • the Government Gateway
  • the Pensions service

You can only use the email service to update your own personal details. If you've moved with your partner, they'll need to send a separate email to update their details.

To read more about the email service, go to:

Financial providers

When you move, you'll need to change your address on your:

  • banks and building society accounts
  • insurance policies
  • investment and saving accounts
  • private pension schemes (you’ll need to tell the pension scheme administrator)
  • credit and store card accounts

Telling your employer

Let your employer know if you move. You usually send this information to your company’s human resources department.

Student loans

If you change address it's important to tell your local Student Finance NI office. To read more, go to: 

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.