Making a claim for Winter Fuel Payment

Part of: Winter Fuel Payment

If you are not eligible to automatically get Winter Fuel payment, you will have to make a claim. You can do this by telephone or post if you live in Northern Ireland or the European Economic Area (EEA).

Claiming by telephone

To claim by telephone, contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

If you apply by telephone, the Winter Fuel Payment Centre will ask you:

  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance Number
  • your bank or building society account number (if you’re using an account in the EEA or Switzerland, you’ll need the account’s BIC and IBAN numbers)
  • the date you married or entered into a civil partnership

Claiming by post if you live in Northern Ireland

If you live in Northern Ireland and want to claim by post, download a Winter Fuel Payment claim form or ask the Winter Fuel Payment Centre to send you a form. 

Claiming by post if you live in EEA or Switzerland

You have to complete the form at the link below if you wish to claim Winter Fuel Payment and live in an eligible EEA country or Switzerland.

Where to send completed forms

The address to which your completed application form should be sent can be found at Winter Fuel Payment claim form

Your form must be received by 31 March 2020.

You will get a letter telling you how much Winter Fuel Payment you will receive and when this will be paid.

If your payment is incorrect

Check payment information on the following page:

If you’re claiming for the first time and the information in your application form is incorrect, you should contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

Who does not need to claim

If you're eligible for Winter Fuel Payment and already receive certain benefits, you don't need to claim and should receive an automatic payment.

To find out more, go to the link below:

Who needs to claim

You need to claim Winter Fuel Payment if:

  • you qualify by age
  • you only receive Housing Benefit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit

but don't receive:

  • State Pension
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • State Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Benefit
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Graduated Retirement Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • War Pension
  • Widow’s Benefit

You need to claim even if your partner is already receiving a Winter Fuel Payment for your household.

If you've received Winter Fuel Payment before

If you previously received a Winter Fuel Payment and there has been no change in your circumstances, you don't need to apply.

You do need to apply if you received Winter Fuel Payment before but your circumstances have changed, for example, you stopped receiving any of the benefits above or deferred your State Pension.

For more information on what to do if there has been a change in your situation, see Winter Fuel Payment - if there's a change in your circumstances.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.