How to apply for Building Regulations approval

If you wish to apply for Building Regulations approval, this page will give you advice on how to go about it. Find out how to make an application and how it is assessed.

Submission of the application

The application should be deposited with the Building Control Department of your local council. This should include:

  • completed application form
  • correct fee
  • location map and detailed site plan – two copies
  • construction plans and technical specification – two copies

For contact details of your local Building Control office, please use the link below:

Assessment of your proposal

The plans are assessed for compliance with Building Regulations and any required revisions notified to the agent who may then send amended plans.

When these are received and all details are satisfactory your plans can be approved. The Approval Certificate and one set of approved plans will be returned.

Commencement of work and site inspections

When an application has been made with the correct fee, the builder may start work, however before doing so, the Building Control Department must be notified so that a Building Control Surveyor can visit the site. The surveyor will carry out inspections from start to finish.

There is a legal obligation on any person causing works to be carried out to advise the Building Control department at various stages so that inspections may be undertaken. Building Control will carry out any other inspections as are deemed necessary.

If the builder commences work before the approval of the plans, he proceeds entirely at his own risk.

After the first inspection has been carried out, the full inspection fee is due. District councils may agree payment by instalment.

If you or your agent wish to talk to a Building Control surveyor about your scheme before submitting it for assessment, you can do so by contacting the Building Control office where your plans will be lodged.


When the works are satisfactorily completed and notified to the district council and all fees are paid, Building Control will issue a Completion Certificate to the applicant.

The Completion Certificate and the plan Approval Certificate are important legal documents that should be stored safely - perhaps with the deeds of the property. Without these documents,it may be difficult to secure finance or effect a sale in the conveyancing process.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback