How to support a person with a dementia
Dementia can bring changes to a person's life. If you're a carer or friend of a person with dementia, you can give them help and support in their everyday life and activities.
Helping a person with dementia
If you're a carer or friend of a person with a dementia, there are different ways to support them in their everyday life.
You can help by:
- remembering they are still the person and friend you may have known for a long time
- including them in group conversations
- asking them their opinion and not assuming you know what they want
- offering your support, they may not feel confident enough to approach you and may need your help
- being sensitive, for example, understanding and supporting their approach to living with the condition
- remembering they can still do the same things as you with a little help
Helping a person with dementia have a social life
People with a dementia should continue to enjoy their hobbies and interests as much as possible.
You can offer support by:
- including them in social activities and events
- encouraging them to join a conversation
- involving them in an activity they enjoy
Communicating with a person living with a dementia
You can help support a person living with a dementia by using good communication. When you communicate well with them, you can help increase their understanding and wellbeing.
To read more, go to:
Where to find help and support
Community and voluntary organisations can provide help and support to people affected by a dementia, their family and friends.
This support includes:
- information about services
- carers' training programmes to make sure family and friends know the best ways to support a person with a dementia
- group support services for people with a dementia and their carers
You can find more information and support services from the following organisations, see also ‘more useful links section’:
The Public Health Agency has also produced a range of information to help support people with a dementia, their families and friends.
This information includes the following publications:
- Ten common signs of dementia
- Early stages of dementia
- Communicating effectively with a person living with dementia
- Are you worried about dementia?
Dementia apps library
The ‘Apps4Dementia’ library is a digital service which groups together safe, trusted apps to provide information and guidance on the condition.
There a number of apps that offer support, self-care of symptoms and allow users to carry on with their day-to-day activities for as long as possible.
More useful links
- Dementia services - Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
- Memory/ dementia services - Southern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Western Health and Social Care Trust