How to support a person with a dementia
Dementia can bring changes to a person's life. If you're a carer or friend of a person with dementia, you can give them help and support in their everyday life and activities.
Helping a person with dementia
If you're a carer or friend of a person with a dementia, there are different ways to support them in their everyday life.
You can help by:
- remembering they are still the person and friend you may have known for a long time
- including them in group conversations
- asking them their opinion and not assuming you know what they want
- offering your support, they may not feel confident enough to approach you and may need your help
- being sensitive, for example, understanding and supporting their approach to living with the condition
- remembering they can still do the same things as you with a little help
Helping a person with dementia have a social life
People with a dementia should continue to enjoy their hobbies and interests as much as possible.
You can offer support by:
- including them in social activities and events
- encouraging them to join a conversation
- involving them in an activity they enjoy
Communicating with a person living with a dementia
You can help support a person living with a dementia by using good communication. When you communicate well with them, you can help increase their understanding and wellbeing.
Where to find help and support
Community and voluntary organisations can provide help and support to people affected by a dementia, their family and friends.
This support includes:
- information about services
- carers' training programmes to make sure family and friends know the best ways to support a person with a dementia
- group support services for people with a dementia and their carers
You can find more information and support services from the following organisations:
The Public Health Agency has also produced a range of information to help support people with a dementia, their families and friends.
This information includes the following publications:
- Early stages of dementia
- Communicating effectively with a person living with dementia
- Are you worried about dementia
Dementia apps library
The Apps4Dementia library is a digital service which groups together safe, trusted apps to provide information and guidance on the condition.
There a number of apps that offer support, self-care of symptoms and allow users to carry on with their day-to-day activities for as long as possible
More useful links
- Dementia services - Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
- Memory/ dementia services - Southern Health and Social Care Trust
- Dementia services - Western Health and Social Care Trust