How to open, switch or close your bank account

With so many different bank accounts available these days, it’s worth checking to see if you can find a better one - you could save hundreds of pounds with an account that better suits your needs. Whether you’re looking to set up, switch or close your bank account, this guide has all the information you need.

Opening a bank account

Choose a bank account

First things first. Make sure you know what bank account you’d like to open.

Read our guide How to choose the right bank account for all the information you need to make a decision.

If you have a partner, you might want to read about Joint accounts.

How to open a bank account

Read a transcript of this video (DOC 27KB)

Now that you know what bank account you want it’s time to speak to the bank.

You can do this in branch, over the phone or online.

The bank will run a credit check to find out your credit history.

This will tell them, for example, whether you’ve had problems with credit repayments in the past.

You’ll also be asked to provide a:

  • Proof of identity (for example, a passport or driving licence).
  • Proof of address (for example, a recent utility or phone bill).

How do you prove your address or identity? Here are some of the common documents banks and building societies will be looking for so you can prove you are who you say you are:

  • Driving Licence
  • Council Tax bill
  • UK utility bill like gas or electricity
  • Bank or building society statement
  • Credit card statement
  • HMRC letter or tax statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Benefits statement

Different banks will ask for different forms of ID. You can check online what ID you’ll need, so you’re be prepared to open your new account.

Fee-free basic bank accounts

If banks turn you down for a standard account, you can always apply for a fee-free basic bank account.

Launched in January 2016, these accounts don’t charge fees, don’t provide overdrafts and won’t charge you if a Direct Debit fails.

Or, take a look at our collection of guides, tips and handy links to make sure you get the best deal.

How to switch bank accounts

Almost all banks and building societies now offer a free seven-day Current Account Switch Service.

It’s backed by a guarantee that means you’ll be refunded any interest and charges on your old and new accounts if anything goes wrong.

During the switch process, you’ll be asked about your current overdraft. As long as you can prove your overdraft limit, for example with a bank statement, your new account might match your current limit.

Find everything you need to know about switching bank account on the Current Account Switch Service website.

You should also make sure you’re Making the most of your bank account before switching

How to choose a current account

Comparison websites are a good starting point for finding a current account tailored to your needs.

You can start by thinking about some basics.

  • You’ve often got a positive balance in your account - look for an account that pays a generous interest rate to increase your savings.
  • You’re often getting charges for using your overdraft - look for an account with lower overdraft fees. Here are some tips for controlling your overdraft.

You can also then look at other features of accounts such as do they offer linked higher interest savings accounts, cashback, switching bonuses.

We recommend the following websites for comparing current accounts:

  • Go Compare – This also allows you to use the government-backed Midata tool to securely upload your past transactions and get customised current account recommendations.
  • Moneyfacts.
  • Money Saving Expert.
  • Which? – You can use the Which? quality rating to find the banks with the best customer score.

In Northern Ireland, you can also try the Consumer Council Comparison Tool.

Switching bank accounts if you have an overdraft


Charges on your overdraft are changing from April, but some banks are introducing these changes earlier. Find out more about what these changes mean for you.

You can switch using the Current Account Switch Service, even if you have an overdraft. The service will:

  • Switch your current account.
  • Move money from your old current account to your new one or if you’re in your overdraft it can move it into the new current account. Your overdraft will need to be agreed with your new bank or building society for it to be switched. Alternatively, they may be able to offer you a way of helping you pay off your overdraft, as long as you meet their normal lending requirements. If this isn’t possible though, you’ll need to repay your existing overdraft before you switch.
  • Move all your payments going out (for example your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example benefits or salaries) to your new account.
  • Close your old account.
  • Make sure any payments accidentally made to your old account will be automatically redirected to your new account.

The switching service takes seven working days. Plus, because of the Current Account Switch Guarantee, if something goes wrong, any interest or charges you incur as a result of any problem with your switch will be refunded.

What do I need to be aware of when trying to switch with an overdraft?

It’s up to the new bank or building society to decide if they’ll accept your overdraft, and different providers will have different rules. They may turn you down if you have a very large overdraft or have been in your overdraft for a long time.

The decision could depend on lots of factors. For example, if you’ve been using an overdraft previously, and have always paid it off, this sends a good signal to your new bank or building society because it shows you’ve been able to pay off debts in the past.

When you find a better account, speak to the account provider to find out if you can get it.

Bear in mind that your credit score is a factor when switching accounts. You’re more likely to get the account you want if you have a good credit score.

Even if you can’t get the new account you wanted you should shop around to find a loan with better rates than your current account.

How do I switch my current account if I have an overdraft?

The steps are the same as with a current account without an overdraft, above.

Make sure you’re getting a better deal before switching your account. Shop around using comparison tables to help find accounts with overdrafts and make sure you check and understand the charges and overdraft rules for each account.

Find out more about switching your current account.

How to close a bank account

You can close most bank accounts whenever you like without being charged a fee or penalty.

It’s usually just a case of getting in touch with your bank.

However, if you’re overdrawn you’ll have to pay off what you owe.

If you’re not using the Current Account Switch Service to shut your account, make sure any Direct Debits or payments are transferred to your new account.

If your bank decides to close your account

If your bank decides to close your current or instant access savings account, you’ll generally be given two months’ notice.

For other accounts, it must give you ‘reasonable notice’, so that you can make alternative arrangements.

The bank can delay the closure if you have made payments that have not yet been taken from your account, for example a cheque or card payment.

If things go wrong

If you’re unhappy about something your bank has done, the first thing to do is to talk to someone at the bank about it.

For other options when making a complaint read Sort out a money problem or make a complaint.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.