How to become an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI)

To become an AMI, you must complete three qualifying tests. Part one tests your theory knowledge, part two tests your riding ability and fitness, and part three tests your ability to instruct learner motorcycle drivers.

Becoming an AMI

When you first apply, an enhanced security check will be carried out by Access NI (ANI). Once completed, Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) will send you your eligibility number which you will need to book a theory test.

If you have concerns about your criminal history you are advised to speak to DVA before committing to any fees for packages offered by AMI training providers.

Information about the ANI check is on pages 13 and 14 of Your guide to becoming an Approved Motorcycle Instructor. There is also a list of training materials to help you prepare for each test.

You must pass all three tests, in order, within two years. If you fail any of the tests three times, you must wait two years from the date you first sat the theory test before beginning the process again.

Becoming an AMI when disabled

Yes. The the details of the restrictions on your licence must be sent with your application to make sure suitable arrangements are made to meet your needs.

Other requirements to be an AMI

As well as the three tests and a satisfactory ANI check, you must also:

  • currently hold a full NI, Great Britain or Community (EC/EEC) motorcycle licence
  • have held the licence for a total of four years out of the past six years
  • have not been disqualified from motorcycle riding/driving in any part of the four years before the date of your application

Apply to become an AMI

You can apply online:

You can also send the fee with an application form to:

Business Support Unit
Driver & Vehicle Agency
Balmoral Road
Malone Lower
BT12 6QL


Telephone: 028 9068 5203

Forms are available from DVA's Business Support Unit or can be downloaded.

AMI test centre locations

The theory test (part one) is available at six test centres – Ballymena, Belfast, Londonderry, Newry, Omagh and Portadown.

The riding ability (part two) and the instructional ability test (part three) are conducted at Craigavon, Londonderry (Newbuildings) and Mallusk.

AMI test fees

AMI test fees are available at the following page:

Joining the register

After passing all three tests, you may apply to have your name added to the AMI Register, once you have paid the registration fee and had a satisfactory ANI check.

EU transfer

If you hold an AMI licence in an EU country, you can get this transferred to a NI licence if you are resident in NI.

You can apply online to transfer this.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.