How to apply for finance - EU students

If you are a student from another European Union (EU) country studying in Northern Ireland you apply for financial help towards your fees by sending an application form to the Student Finance Services European team.

Applying for financial help

If you are an EU student applying for financial help in Northern Ireland, England, or Wales, you need to:

  • complete the relevant application form for your type of course and year of study (there are guidance notes to help you complete each form)
  • send the completed form to the Student Finance Services European team by the relevant deadline

Application forms for new students

New full-time students who apply for their course through UCAS by July will be sent an application form for student finance automatically.

Application forms for continuing students

You will need to complete an application form for every year of your course. If you have applied for student finance before, you should also automatically be sent an application form. This will be sent to your home address in your EU country of origin, not your UK address while you study.

If you haven’t applied for student finance before, you will need to fill in the form for new full-time students.

Where to send the form

Once you've completed the form, post it to the Student Finance Services European team. You also need to post any relevant documents (the guidance notes in your application pack will tell you what you must send). If you don't send the documents you are asked to, this could delay your application.

The Student Finance Services European team will post your documents back to you at the address in your EU country of origin.

EU nationals studying in academic years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021

If you’re currently in higher education, or starting in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 academic years, and assessed as eligible to receive loans and grants from Student Finance NI, you’ll continue to do so until you finish your course, whether the UK leaves the EU with a withdrawal agreement or without an agreed deal. 

This applies to all student finance from Student Finance NI for students in Northern Ireland for which EU nationals are eligible, including:

  • grants and loans to cover tuition fees (for those resident in the EEA for three years)
  • loans and grants for maintenance (limited to those resident in the UK for at least three years)
  • some other grants and allowances

For more information about the support available, contact your university’s student finance office or Student Finance European Services Team.

What happens to your application

Once the Student Finance Services European team has received your form:

  • they will send you a letter to confirm they've received it
  • they will work out if you are eligible to receive financial help, and if so how much
  • if they need any further information from you, they will write to you and ask for it
  • they will write and tell you how much you are entitled to
  • they will arrange for the money to be paid directly to your college or university


You must send in your application form by the relevant deadline.

Apply no later than nine months after the first date of the academic year relevant to your course.

Information about academic year

Academic years begin in the autumn, winter, spring and summer, and last for 12 months. The first day of the academic year is not necessarily the day on which you begin that year of your course. It is decided by the period during which your year begins.

The academic year starts on:

  • 1 September, if your study begins between 1 August and 31 December inclusive
  • 1 January, if your study begins between 1 January and 31 March inclusive
  • 1 April, if your study begins between 1 April and 30 June inclusive
  • 1 July

If your circumstances change  

If your personal circumstances change as a part-time or full-time student, for example there is a change to your:

  • address
  • marital status
  • parents' marital status

you should email or write to the Student Finance Services European Team. If you change, suspend or leave your course, the Student Finance Services European team will need confirmation from your university or college.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.