How and when to give notice for civil partnership

You and your partner must give completed notice forms, relevant documents, declarations and fees to the Registrar for the council district where your civil partnership is to take place. Your civil partnership notice will be placed on public display at the Registrar’s office.

Timing of civil partnership notice

Notice must be given in the 12 month period before to the date of the civil partnership. You must give notice early enough to allow the Registrar to make sure both people are free to enter into a civil partnership.

Normally, notices should be with the Registrar about eight weeks before the civil partnership, but if either of you have been married before, or have entered into a previous civil partnership, the notices should be with the registrar 10 weeks before.

The minimum period is 28 days before the date of the proposed civil partnership, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General allow a civil partnership registration to take place if 28 days notice has not been given.

How to give notice

You can download and print out a civil partnership notice application form below. You will need to complete a separate form for each person.

Documents to be produced

When you present your notice application form you will need to provide originals of the following documents:

  • full birth certificate (long version)
  • passport

If you were previously in a civil partnership, you also need to provide:

  • certificate of dissolution of civil partnership (if civil partnership was dissolved)
  • death certificate (if your former civil partner is deceased)

If you were married previously, you will also need to provide:

  • certificate of decree absolution (if your previous marriage was dissolved)
  • certificate of decree of divorce (if you have previously been granted a divorce)
  • marriage certificate from previous marriage (if you have kept your previous married surname)
  • death certificate if your previous spouse is deceased

If you were born outside the UK, you need to provide:

  • certified copy of your birth issued by the right authority of that country
  • passport or national identity card

If any of the documents are in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided.

Photocopies of documents are not acceptable unless certified to be a true copy by the issuing authority.

Don’t delay giving notice to the registrar if you are waiting for originals of any of the documents above. Authorised or notarised copies may be acceptable for giving notice; however the Registrar will need to see the originals before a civil partnership can take place.

Marriage/civil partnership and immigration control

If you are not a UK, EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss national you will be required to complete an Immigration Status Statement. You will need to present the status statement along with your notice application.

Visiting the UK to form a civil partnership

If you are visiting the UK to marry, you will need to provide the documents listed above, the right visa and an immigration status statement (if applicable) along with your marriage notice application.


£22 per notice form - separate notice forms are required for each person.

The district council will also charge additional fees for:

  • solemnisation of the civil partnership
  • room hire in the council or for the Registrar to take part at an approved venue

These fees must all be paid along with your notice application. You should contact the council for more information.

If you send your notices by post, a cheque for the right amount, payable to the council, should be included with your application.

Submitting your application

You can present your notice forms, documents and fees in person or send by post to the Registrar in the area you are planning to register your civil partnership.

What happens next

Ahead of your civil partnership date, you may be asked to visit the registrar’s office to make any final arrangements.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.