Colour banner for pages about paying rates on your home

Housing Benefit and Rate Relief for students

Some students may be eligible to apply for Housing Benefit and Rate Relief if they already receive certain benefits or have parental or caring responsibilities.

Eligible for Housing Benefit and Rate Relief

Most students cannot receive Housing Benefit and Rate Relief. You might be eligible if you're a student and:

  • receive Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • have dependent children and your partner is also a full time student
  • are a lone parent responsible for a child or young person
  • are a are single claimant with responsibility for a foster child
  • are a part-time student
  • are under 21 and began or enrolled on your course (such as A-levels or NVQs but not degree courses) before the age of 19
  • are under 20 on approved training which you began or were accepted or enrolled on before the age of 19
  • your partner is over State Pension age
  • have a disability, including being deaf or blind
  • are absent from college due to caring responsibilities or illness and the college agreed your absence
  • are or are treated as incapable of work, or as having a limited capability for work for a continuous period of at least 196 days

Claiming Housing Benefit and Rate Relief

Land & Property Services (LPS) administers the scheme for people who own and occupy their own home.  The Housing Executive (NIHE) administers the scheme for people who rent their home.

Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit, you aren't entitled to Housing Benefit and Rate Relief. To get help paying your rates, you must apply for Rate Rebate. 

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.