Extended schools

Extended schools provide services before, during and after the normal school day to help nursery, primary, secondary and special school children achieve their full potential. They also support their parents, families and the local community. These services include breakfast and homework clubs, after-schools activities, classes and support for learning.

Extended schools programme

The extended schools programme aims to help improve the life chances of children and young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by providing additional finance (currently over £9m) to around 500 eligible schools.

These schools are able to provide additional services and activities usually offered outside the school day including after school, evenings, weekends and holidays.

Even for those schools that aren't in the programme, they too can provide extended services, made possible through main school budgets, parental contributions or other sources of funding. You can contact your local school to see what is on offer.

More information on the extended schools programme and schools that qualify for this funding is available at the links below.

What an extended school does

Extended services aim to raise standards of achievement and allow children to realise their full potential in an environment where education is valued.

An extended school provides services depending on the particular pupil, family and community needs that are identified, including:.

  • stimulating activities, skills classes and additional learning support for your child
  • parenting and family support
  • access to specialist support services
  • community access to school facilities
  • local adult learning and career development opportunities

Activities are usually available at the school, but can also take place at a nearby school or at another suitable venue supervised by staff.

The services offered by extended schools can help parents:

  • balance work and family commitments
  • develop parenting skills
  • become involved in your child’s learning
  • support your child's different experiences and interests

They also allow parents and the community to use the school’s facilities. For example, you could learn more about information and communications technology (ICT) or improve your writing or maths skills.

Some schools may also offer other services to the local community such as information about healthy eating and nutrition, advice on managing finances or first aid courses among many others.

Activities, skills and additional learning support

Study support activities give extra help to children who may be falling behind their peers. Children who are doing well can take on more challenging work to stretch them further. Other activities can help to develop skills, build confidence and promote health and wellbeing. The range of activities on offer can include:

  • breakfast clubs
  • after-school clubs
  • summer schemes
  • homework or study support including additional classes
  • play and recreation  
  • sport and fitness  
  • drama  
  • music  
  • ICT, cookery and language lessons
  • arts, crafts and other special interest clubs  
  • volunteering, business and enterprise activities

Check with your local school to see what they offer. More information on study support, breakfast and homework clubs can be found at the links below.

Parenting and family support

Schools can help parents get involved in their child’s learning. The extended schools programme encourages eligible schools to provide parental and family support activities including:

  • parenting skills programmes
  • opportunities for family learning
  • child behaviour management courses
  • information sessions for parents when their children start primary school and when they move to secondary school
  • information about nationally and locally available sources of advice and support for parents and families

Getting specialist support 

Many schools can work closely with external partners including health and social services to make sure children and young people get the help they need. This can include those experiencing social, emotional or behavioural problems.

Extended schools often work with neighbouring schools and local voluntary or community agencies or groups, to provide better and more joined-up support.  This helps a school more easily identify who needs help and organise it as quickly as possible.

Closer links between organisations mean that children needing continuing support throughout their school careers can receive it.

Community access

All schools can make their facilities available for use by the local community and are encouraged to do so. This is a decision for each individual school.

For those choosing to provide community access, this can include sporting, educational or recreational facilities such as:

  • sports halls and pitches
  • gyms and fitness studios
  • classrooms
  • computer suites
  • arts and music facilities

Spaces such as school halls and classrooms can be used for a variety of reasons by different local community groups, for example, further education, vocational classes, and adult learning programmes.

Local adult learning and career development opportunities

The extended services provided by schools in your local area, including courses of educational or vocational study and opportunities for family learning with your child, can allow you the chance to improve or develop your own skills which can lead to better career prospects.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.